Ground vehicles identification guide

Any Topics related to the No.2 Server
StRiKeR

Ground vehicles identification guide

Post by StRiKeR »

Hey folks,

Because time and time again we misidentify Warsaw Pact vehicles in the heat of the moment, here is a guide to quickly identify most ground vehicles (including Vanilla, RHS and CUP) by their side picture. Remember the reason we usually want to identify these correctly is to figure out the armament and armor levels of the threat to judge it correctly. So take particular note of that. All credit for this material goes to la_Vieille on the Steam forums.

Not displayed here is the recently added T14 Armata, the Rooikat tank destroyer and the weasel tankette, as well as a visual representation of a BTR-80A, which is a normal -80 chassis with a 20mm autocannon mounted.

Now go study.
Smolof

Re: Ground vehicles identification guide

Post by Smolof »

In my opinion this is overcomplicated and not really helpful for the casual gamer.

BMP(BMD) - IFV = Has guns that fuck up your day, At least an Autocannon with 20 - 30 mm. Usually ATGMs. THREAT LEVEL HIGH

BTR - APC = Usually has an HMG or GMG mounted with some slight additions in more modern variants. THREAT LEVEL MEDIUM

TANK = Has a fucking cannon. Infantry should be able to easily avoid. Threat for vehicles is high.

Any Car with a 50 cal i just call a mobile HMG unless i know the specific vehicle name (like UAZ). The same for GMGs.
An armored car with gun is an MRAP-HMG/GMG. Since a rifle can take out the gunner and or driver it's THREAT LEVEL LOW.

For the few special vehicles that are rarely used, you can specify more. Like AAA or Artillery.

This should be enough to give the commander a better understanding of the threat level.

PS: Cause of the Autocannon on the BTR-80A i would generally mark it as an IFV to reflect the threat level.

Just remember that this is still casual milsim. We don't all play military games all day and dont really give a shit about specific names.
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

Smolof wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:57 pm In my opinion this is overcomplicated and not really helpful for the casual gamer.
Except when it is. Learning the shapes and forms of vehicles is necessary to identify them especially if you only have partial sight on an asset.

Oversimplifying and just going by armament is only half the cheese. By your system, a BMP-1 is a tank, a tank destroyer is a tank, a BRDM ATGM is just some kind of MRAP, ... etc

And nope, especially the "rarely used" vehicles get constantly fucked up. The difference between a ZU-23 and a ZSU-23-4 for instance. One is static or truck mounted, the other an armored and radar guided murder platform.

Don't be lazy, go study. I'm not saying it's required knowledge, but highly beneficial knowledge. Casual milsim to me is the definition of getting things done efficiently while leaving out all the bullshit of rank and file that adds nothing. It shouldn't be an excuse for a lack of knowledge and general slackery.
The material above is a learning ressource, not a rule set on what to call things.
Folau

Post by Folau »

Tbf, it caused chaos when a Nyx was called as an "MBT" on CO net once on S1. Cheers Striker. Not sure the Rhino, Nyx, or Angara are on there?
Rodi

Post by Rodi »

Honestly, the only real things grossly called out in a wrong way are Russian Btr and Bmp/Bmd family vehicles.
In the heat of the moment these similar sounding names will easily be called wrong.
As long as people correct themselves it should be fine tho.
Rip Inglisch
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

This is the reason why I label my map markers with the explicit model of enemy vehicle whenever possible rather than just following the standard "w_hmg", "apc", etc. Understanding the threat level of an enemy vehicle involves more than just it's armament or vehicle type. Level of armour protection and optical sensors (e.g. IR thermal imaging?) have a significant effect on threat level and can differ between vehicles of the same type.

Explicitly naming the vehicle model also helps your buddies know exactly what they are looking for when scanning. Taking Folau's example, if you hear a call on the radio about an "AAF tank", you're then looking out for the shape of an MBT Kuma which means you may miss the enemy Nyx (the actual threat) because it's a tiny tankette in comparison.
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

Folau wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm Not sure the Rhino, Nyx, or Angara are on there?
As mentioned in the top post, the tank DLC assets are not included here yet. I mentioned them by their IRL names above which highlights the problem that arises when BIS adds vehicles that actually exist and gives them a different name in the game to probably avoid licensing issues. ACE will immediately rename name them on Server #2, yet on Server #1 they are usually referenced by their Vanilla names. Same with the Slammer/Merkava or Kuma/Leopard.
So either we are able to associate both names or stick to a unified system here...
Folau

Post by Folau »

Sorry Striker, reading comprehension failed me and I didn't see it :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

"Oh there's and enemy vehicle over there, lemme just whip out my manual and have a look, damn everyone is dead but at least I now know it was a BMP"

Learning roughly what something is ie IFV, APC, TD, Truck etc is enough. That allows you to quickly identify the type of threat you are facing and what is required to eliminate it.

Smolof's comment sums up best, if you can learn every vehicle great, if not then just knowing roughly what type of vehicle something is is ok.
Rodi

Post by Rodi »

A wild BTR-80A appears and ruins everyone's categories.

I'd argue discriminating between some of the early BMP/BMD models and the later ones is necessary too.
A bmp1 has a different threat level and required response than a bmp2 would, simply due to one having a HE gun, that reloads for precious seconds, while the other annihilates your entire squad within seconds.

Reductio ad absurdum probably isn't an appropriate way of responding to this thread, seeing as there you are not supposed to use this "guide" while engaged in the mission and individual vehicles of the same category requiring different threat assessments.

Conclusion: Learning the categories is the first step, being able to differentiate between the actual vehicles is strongly advised later on and often times essential to not dying.
Rip Inglisch
Tom

Post by Tom »

wheels = apc
tracks = tank
don't know = probably a tank
really don't know? = probably a bmp, i mean bmd... no no no btr... 7... 80, definately an 80.