Website Calendar and Big Events

Olympus

Website Calendar and Big Events

Post by Olympus »

I saw the Calendar in Site Homepage it is very good.I think will add more people in Game Nights.We need also a Special Area that we can promote our Special Events.When I say Special Events I mean one Day per week or per 2 weeks that will play One Big Mission (2-3 hours) that always will be representation of a real Battle of course with our Modset not Vanilla.We must promote that in:
1.Our Website with Text and maybe a Video with historical cinematographic material.(I can do that with Mission maker help of course)
2.In that website with a Promote Banner https://clanlist.io/rankings/arma-3 (I can do that)
3.In Bohemia Forums https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/forum ... ltiplayer/ (I can not do that because my contacts are not so strong)
4.Steam (we have 472 members)with a message to all our members one week before and two days before event.Maybe with that way we can bring back some of Inactive Members (steam admins can do that easy)
Thor

Re: Website Calendar and Big Events

Post by Thor »

plus one for this! although there's a notification on steam for each server 1/2 gamenight already.

Also, to get more ppl "into the ranks", it'd be awesome if we had more trainers/ set training times per month or so.
Eagle-Eye

Post by Eagle-Eye »

Olympus wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 amone Day per week or per 2 weeks that will play One Big Mission (2-3 hours)
I've actually been wondering whether or not the community would like to play lengthy missions (not necessarily based on real events, but e.g. multiple objectives, reliant on slow(er)/tactical movement, ...), or if players would begin losing their focus, become bored etc. after the first 60 - 90 minutes. (avg. duration of our current missions)

Other things to consider are what happens when you set up a day for a long mission event, and don't reach the minimum player count at mission start? What do you do with JIPs, deaths, loss of assets, early mission completion/failure, ...?
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

yes there are a lot of possible problems but can be solved.One two hours mission is a very good choise.We can have lets say one Respawn as a reinforcements wave.
Ender

Post by Ender »

I've had a lot of experience with a community that has a gamenight every week that is all about one single mission that is around 4 hours long, usually pretty exact. It definitely gives the player a more realistic experience but usually the enjoyment slowly drops down and it becomes dreadful. Shorter missions is the way to go in my opinion since it allows a change of gameplay so if the mission happens to be bad or boring then you know you'll just have to wait a little bit before another mission starts. Though it might turn out to be fun when put into practice since I am more attached to this community then the other one, which might be a small factor to why I dislike those long missions.

Most communities who typically have these long missions doesn't have a lot of mission makers so one long mission is easier to make then 4 totally different smaller missions. In Zeus Community I don't see that problem yet and be are still to this day able to get fresh missions almost every gamenight and there is rarely any missions that gets repetetive.

I think one big dreadful part of a long mission is that we don't have any "real" breaks. Sure you can tell your SL that you'll go afk but usually the game runs continously and those small breaks are nothing compared to the total mission reset we have between our 1 hour long missions. This constant gameplay might be fun at the beginning but in the end over the 1 and half or 2 hour mark you just stick around because you feel like your obligated to be there even though you actually want to leave. So if this is implemented then please add some official breaks of atleast 10 minutes.

The idea that when you start a gamenight and see that map screen about the mission and realise that this is where you will be for the next 4 hours and this is the only mission that will be played makes me not want to participate in the gamenights in the future, atleast on that community I played in.

Either way this is just my opinion from personal experience and for me it is easy to say that i'd go 60-90 minute missions every day of the week. Though some of these problems can indeed be fixed if a event like this is added and might turn out great.
Last edited by Ender on Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
It is the challenge that makes one better, to push one's limit and actively look for things to do better- Ender
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

I agree with you Ender ,I do not say to have 4 hour missions but two hours or 1,5 hours and only as a big event every 15 days.
Ender

Post by Ender »

That sounds fun, switching it up a little. i'd agree aslong as it isn't every week. Though some mission we play today reaches 1,5 hours already and even 2 hours so for it to become "special" it has to be somewhere over 2 hours. Most of the problems I mentioned above can be fixed though incase an event like this is added. At the very least it's worth a try since theory is never completely accurate to practice and if it is tried then it might turn out great.

A poll should be created to see what people think regarding if they like to see this idea put into motion and what length they prefer.
It is the challenge that makes one better, to push one's limit and actively look for things to do better- Ender
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

Will be very interesting for Arma Players if thse special Missions be Representation of Real Battles.That will be very exciting but will attract many many players (no Zeus Members only).
Vonhye

Post by Vonhye »

It is very interesting idea (we could have better MEDEVAC system setup then, something like what we had in Fog of War defence mission, but moving variant, ammo drops from chopper/plane, like we had in one mather's defence mission), but it could indeed get really easily tiresome. I personally prefer small missions which take around 45 minutes each, but having this type of mission could be really fun once in a while. We could also have kind of switching of roles: Let's say you are engineer in the first half of mission and for the second you go in as rifleman, because engineers are not needed anymore (or you switch with some other willing dude) to prevent being bored of your role.

Also there is problem of performance: I imagine 2.5 hours long mission with multiple objectives would use around 250-300 AI. My uneducated guess is that mission maker would be forced to spawn AI of next objective only after previous one is finished to prevent having low FPS. Or is caching the AI enough?

But overall, I think that the idea is indeed worth trying.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Especially with some scripts from the F3 framework there are a lot of possibilities to cache and delete stuff almost automatically and even aggressively. More concerning are Arma bugs and player's different internet connections with heavy packet loss or players continously connecting and disconnecting from the server. But that's normal :) It's all about testing if we do this actually.

As for the time i'd say just do this max. once a month, since it will be a lot of work for everyone involved, especially for the technicians and mission designers and testing. For timing i'd also say replace one GN for that, since thats the most likely date to get the most players on. (-> and therefore going for WE or friday rather than midweek.