43%
No: Take me out i hate mosquitos
57%

Total votes: 35

Cobra.

Re: Keep Unsung or not

Post by Cobra. »

Hopefully it will be the i44 of Arma 3.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
supahgamer

Post by supahgamer »

I'm not saying that we should implement this to sv2 (since it requires apex) I'm just saying that we can keep the mod on sv4 for the people who want to play
Which part is the trigger
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

I'd say no, because #4 is used as a test bed for addons. Without it we would either have to shut down the test servers for addons to be tested which would drastically slow down people when making missions. All the servers are being used for something #4 wasn't just an empty server for no reason its a blank canvas for Ben to test addons on. I had to sort out when and what mods when needed for this event. Whilst it is running we can't test addons without changing another servers purpose.

If that even a month, if we get any RHS updates we can't test them without issues arising from the statement above meaning content to the addon server will be delayed.

I get why people want to play it, it's happened before but we need the servers for things.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

supahgamer wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:10 pm I'm not saying that we should implement this to sv2 (since it requires apex)
Just FYI on a sidenote, the whole "We can't do this because Apex"-point is as moot as it can be. I'm struggling to understand while on Server #1 this seperation is still sometimes catered for (even though slightly less these days considering the recent numbers-issue) but on Server #2 there is virtually no reason to even waste a thought on that. You are expected to own Apex. Period. It's been almost a year now that we have agreed pretty much in unison that we would adapt Apex completely and fully after its release. There is always gonna be one guy who wont have it and he can't be dictating the experience of the others.
Kyoptic

Post by Kyoptic »

Unsung is fun for a while, but the mod is meh on quality. It'll get old like everything else, and our current S2 modset is by far more diverse.
Making the world a better place, by shooting people in the face.
Face

Post by Face »

Unsung is great but it will get old. For me its already getting old. Like the damn helicopter music drowning out every other noise. With that said, i feel like there should be regularly scheduled weekends (like every other month or something) where we have unsung running. This will hold of unsung getting old for people, keep it from stealing from server 2, and provide a nice change of pace from server 2 once in a while.
Aiming is Overrated
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

I agree with you there Face about special events more often, but from a mission making standpoint we are going to run out mission ideas which are different and not a run of the mill. I plan on running a special event once every couple of months with a different modset (I44, Zombie Special maybe...). Note on the once to keep it a speical event rather than a mainstream mod because most mods are good for a few runs like unsung but then get boring unlike our modset which we've used for a very long time.

I don't want to remove players from #2 because that is the main addon server.

ashley

Post by ashley »

Why not just save the special game nights for things that are special? Like, we went back to UNSUNG as they have made some progress with it which allowed us to test it out again.

Special game nights are for the mods that are few and far between and it should be kept that way.
Rodi

Post by Rodi »

No need to keep the entire modpack really. Would just be nice if somebody made use of some of the weapons from the pack in a different mod(or even the UNSUNG people themselves). The maps, vehicles and uniforms are meh at best, but some of the guns are quite nice and semi-well made. We need more variety in low-tech guns for insurgents and low-tech armies anyway. Things like Mac-10s, UZIs or low-tier rifles would be great.(If somebody knows any mods that provides this please share)
Rip Inglisch
Bill

Post by Bill »

I have to agree with the others that we shouldn't keep the special events server for unsung, the quality of the mod leaves a lot to be desired however I feel like we could replicate the Vietnam style with what we already have in the server 2 modpack. We pretty much have the weapons and uniforms covered with a few small exceptions, perhaps with just adding in the Huey pack and another jungle map like N'ziwasogo or something else along with Tanoa we can cater for the folks who are really loving the game play unsung has brought.

We might not have the hundreds of uniform variants and jets that come with the pack but I don't think we need that.
Ivan J

Post by Ivan J »

Good points all over and I agree with all.
If there is a posibility to add just one or 2 best maps from the whole mod pack that would probably be great as well.

Personally I had a weird issue on 13th where on first and third mission (UNSUNG maps) I had constant desync that would result in eventual loss of connection (also my internet would break down and I would have to reset router to get it back). Second mission (Tanoa map) worked perfectly fine with no lag or desync.
Also that same day when we played that mission with objectives all over the map, (with base and arsenal) and everything worked fine for me.

Not sure what caused the problem for me, how to recreate it and how to fix it.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

After being approached on the possibility of running a persistent server for unsung I'll give my thoughts here for all. There are a few issues to keep in mind here, plus the ones also brought up in this thread.

Firstly, server load. If you were to run the special events server more often, along side S1, S2 + 2x test servers we would struggle. More precisely, the server may struggle which would affect everyone. This would have to be tested but the expected result is a loss in performance across all servers. Until we are in a better position to upgrade the server which we have now (see donations page on website) this would be an issue.

Secondly, player balance. With the recent efforts to increase the player numbers on S1 (the entry / gateway server) I am reluctant to suggest having a permanent additional server to further split the numbers. Some may argue Unsung would be a draw and increase numbers and this may be true to an extent but I wouldn't want the tradeoff if it meant less community members keeping the numbers and quality up on the other main servers i.e. S1 where numbers are more often critically linked to quality of the gameplay.

Third, "Special Event". As Buddy from the Incredibles said.. "When everyone's special.. no one will be". I have seen this plenty of times with other games, mods, addons etc.. You get the occasional Flavour of the Month mods which look good and fun but a lack of quality or longevity tends to ween people off it after some time. If there is a case for keeping Unsung on a permanent basis it would need to be proven over time to justify the amount of work and effort it would take to integrate into our repertoire and police it.

I believe, addressing the points above, that the best short term solution for the communities desire to play this more often would be to keep it to a "Special" event and run it once per week on a regular night (non game nights of course). We used to run a similar events night on Mondays were we played many different game types, CTI, Exile, etc but this died off with that waning interest I mentioned earlier, mostly due to a lack of variety.

In short, not against having it IF there is enough sustained interest in it AND enough capacity to run it.

StealthySnowman.
mathers

Post by mathers »

I strongly believe in diversifying assets. These last days the Unsung server was far more popular than the actual #2 server and while I also believe some of that is due to the initial 'hype', I personally don't see me wanting to go back to Al-Rayyak Incursion anytime soon. There is good maps and good assets in Unsung. Yes, there is also a lot of low-quality assets, however nobody needs to use those. The variety in what is provided at a decent standard is enough for it to make it work for quite a while.

However: after having taken some time to order my thoughts on the mod, I feel that the main reason why I enjoy it as much as I do is that it allows access to a different era, a different strategy of play and a different mindset, that is hard to achieve on #2 as of now.
I'd like to have the good assets filtered out and implemented into #2. Mainly, I'm talking about Hueys, Weapons, Helmets(!), some of the Jets and possibly some of the AA assets (AAA, SAM battery). Most of the ground vehicles... well. We don't need driving pixels with questionable handling.
Map wise, I think it'd be nice to have one single 'Nam map. We'd need to evaluate which one offers the most. Tanoa isn't really the same, since I don't enjoy jungle combat with a modern skyline in the back or stumbling across massive factories.

TL:DR: Unsung is great. If we had the power available, it'd be all for a dedicated Unsung server. As things are, I'd like to see assets integrated into #2, with filtering out the poor quality stuff.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

I tried to sort through and remove some uniforms from Killochs Mutli-uniform pack. That was kinda complex just to remove some simple uniforms. To sort through unsung and remove stuff that seems like a mammoth task. Especially with the Unsung and their broken class names (Half the BDU's use outdated classnames which cause the mission not to load (.M16_NAM)) and then sorting out the rest seems really challenging especially coming down the editing the configs.