Can we haz a working repository?

Any Topics related to the No.2 Server
Erppa

Can we haz a working repository?

Post by Erppa »

Can we haz a working repository? :evil:
Reliability of this place is shit.
What is it running on and who is responsible for the machine?

fuxx2.jpg
fuxx2.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
fuxx.jpg
fuxx.jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
Erppa

Re: Can we haz a working repository?

Post by Erppa »

Maybe Ben should start posting links to the addons we include to our collection, so we could download majority of the files elsewhere and just TRY to get the keys from our so called repository.

Damned I'm mad. As a ICT technician I can't stand it when shit is not working.

Post by 2600K »

Direct linking addons would probably cause more problems for the majority of members.

If you're familiar enough with our addons to update the pack manually, Ben already posted that CUP was updated so you can be downloading that if you want to save the wait and know what you're doing, if not you'll just have to be patient.
Terox

Post by Terox »

The repo is down because you have used our allocated bandwidth, I have paid for another Tb of data, the repo should be online sometime soonish

If ya wanna help out and you know what your doing, downloading large addon updates from their source and plonking them into the repo mod folder and then using our repo to update (Meaning your only downloading the bisigns) will save hopefully enough bandwidth to stop this issue reoccuring after a large update
Erppa

Post by Erppa »

How are we going to share the links to the changed addons?
On the news page on google docs, or a thread in the forums?
Terox

Post by Terox »

@Erppa, are you aware of this,
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
It has all the details of all the addons we run including direct links . It is documented on http://info.zeus-community.net contents (Main page) and has been in existence for a few years now
All and every reference , tutorial we have has a google doc, or should have a google doc source which can be navigated to fairly easily from the central repo main page.
Erppa

Post by Erppa »

Terox wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:26 am @Erppa, are you aware of this,
I had totally forgotten that!
Erppa

Post by Erppa »

Terox wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:26 am https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
It has all the details of all the addons we run including direct links .
Ok, I updated most of my addons manually, only 12MB downloaded from the repo. But it was not so straight forward.
Should there be a date in the "latest update" column? Currently it is not there. That would help locating the things which have changed.

IMO direct links to files should be added to the latest news page, where you list the changed addons.
Why? Because people are more likely to do it, if it is easy.
Digging the links from that sheet is not easy enough. Clicking few buttons in arma3synch is very easy, compared to that. Since people do not pay for the bandwith themselves, they are more likely to take the easy way :-D

But! I might be able to help a little here. I have spoken with the chairman of our nerd society and he says that hosting 40GB of stuff on our web server isn't a problem, but he wants to know how much the possible bandwith use might be.
So, how much have we, on average, used on the repo?
Edit: Did I say, that it's free? Or 10e / year, which I pay for my membership.
Terox

Post by Terox »

average useage fluctuates dependant on the number and size of the update, am not actually sure but its over 10Tb this month

As for the spreadsheet, Addon updating was done via somebody preparing information that needs to be done and me doing it based on what the spreadsheet told me needed doing. In that instant, the "ToDo and "Latest Updates" were used to indicate this. However now that Ben manages the addons completely, he probably sees no reason to update these columns and up until now, most likely nobody apart from Ben ever looked at it. Although I do think it should be kept up to date just incase we have issues with the repo

I would say for those that are knowledgeable with mod folders, if you want to help save banwidth, which normally is only an issue if there has been a major updater such as CUP, then run the repo, see what mod folders it has marked for updating and then if its a major update and your capable of managing your addons download the major pack from its source then resync to get the bisigns
Erppa

Post by Erppa »

Terox wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 pm average useage fluctuates dependant on the number and size of the update, am not actually sure but its over 10Tb this month
We could have more than one repo, and use DNS round-robin system to share the load to multiple repos.
Who handles our DNS-service?

Or do you think this would be too complicated & waste of time?
I still think that our current repo is too unreliable.
Terox

Post by Terox »

@Erppa, I have no idea how you would create a "DNS Round robin", never heard of that before or tie that into the A3sync system, but a mirror site would be possible however I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill for 1 instance where we used up all the bandwidth allowance for our repo service which when I became aware of it was quickly remedied for $4

I have full DNS control

As for the reliability of the repo, apart from the recent suspension of service caused by us going over the allowed bandwidth threshold, I have had ZERO reports of reliability for several weeks. AFAIK reliability stopped being an issue after Killswitch edited the connection configuration on the repo machine (Approximately 3 weeks ago)

So please don't associate this recent bandwidth issue with any relaibility factor

I am also very very reluctant to EVER take up any offers of hosting on something which I don't have total control of due to the history of such offerings in the past.

Having said that a mirror is in my opinion a backup and therefore not something I need to rely on. If it was offered then all it has to do is mirror our official repo. Downside to this, the official repo will be using bandwidth to keep it in sync. If we used the correct method though, this could be minimised by actually mirroring rather than uploading a complete instance every time the addons were updated.