Public shaming

Any Topics related to the No.2 Server
Erppa

Public shaming

Post by Erppa »

Since we are supposed to police ourselves, should we point our communal shaming fingers to those, who break our rules and customs?

I personally have started recording videos of our gaming, BUT I'm not sure if this "look what you did, shame on you" approach would be good.
On the second thought, maybe we want to have people to publicly own up, when they fuck up.
That would be kind of a place of learning and giving the same lesson to everyone.
No arguing behind the curtains. Just a notification, from member to member. Straight, fair AND public.
Everyone could say their piece and tell what they think happened. If community thinks someone is accused in unfair manner, that is a place of learning too.

In short:
Don't start arguing when the game is on.
Wait until you have thought what happened, write your post, tell what your thoughts are.
If you have video about it, post it too. Pictures tell more that thousand words. Videos include the words that are said too.
Let the community decide if you are over reacting or was there a reason to be cross about it.

These are my thoughts. Tell me what you think.
Kickboxing_Bnana

Re: Public shaming

Post by Kickboxing_Bnana »

???

Edit:

Whats the point ?
If people brake a rule on the server/guidelies it is set that you contact an admin and they get the process going.
If no rules are broken and you still have a problem with the person/group talk to them personally on ts or message them though ts/pm.

No Need to make personal matters that you have to people/groups (Music-Corner) public, either get over it or talk to them in person so they know whats on.

Why is there a need to be so passive aggressive towards people in a public manner like this?
Last edited by Kickboxing_Bnana on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am BnanaMan. Ever alert for the call to action!"
Erppa

Post by Erppa »

Some things are not severe enough to involve admins.
Sometimes the people just don't listen what you tell them.

That is why, all that above.
ashley

Post by ashley »

You know the format behind reporting issues Errpa, just as everyone else does. Report it to an admin with any evidence you have. That way there is a 3rd party looking into it with no bias.

If you start posting videos of people not doing what they should be doing on the forums I will remove them and remove your posting rights.

If you have a problem with a person/group as Kickboxing Bnana says, then either seek to resolve the issues yourself or seek an admin to help.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

Posting video's and publicly shaming people in a passive aggressive manner is generally considered a dick move.
I don't think encouraging people to public shame others is a good idea. Pretty sure in some context's that can be considered bullying in extreme circumstances which it will evolve too.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
Terox

Post by Terox »

the secret behind self policing is "instant peer pressure"
If you are on the server and you see something you don't agree with
Stage 1: Speak up for yourself, something like.
Complainant: "Do you mind not doing that, its not the way we do things on this server (Try not to swear or insult, that will just get the other persons back up, be civil, you can all do this when you try.... :-)
Everyone else who agrees with complainant: "Yes please stop doing that....

Respective response: Yeah sorry guys, wasn't thinking... End of issue

Ignorant response "Who the hell are you to tell me what to do (Or such responses that you feel they are disrespecting your wishes ----> Try again, if that fails grab an admin

Self policing requires everyone to back everyone up when they see something happening they disagree with.
If your not backed up, then you may need to question the validity of your complaint
If your complaint is valid and nobody backs you up then as far as I am concerned, everyone apart from you is guilty and should be kicked off the server for being selfish and not supporting you :-)
Expecting somebody else to do it instead of you is also selfish

So everyone needs to grow a pair and start supporting each other when some dick messes about during your game time

The No.2 should rarely need admin intervention if you back each other up, except for the odd occasion when you get a new guy on the server who simply doesn't get it..

Why do we keep going around in circles here.... every few months
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I'd like to say we're all adults, but I don't think it's the absolute truth in an open community, majority wise though.. we should all be capable of having a frank conversation about stuff we see as wrong with the person(s) we see perpetrating it rather than immediately running to an admin. Of course, there are ways of approaching conversations that are not inflammatory but I know for a fact not everyone has this ability or the willpower or grace to develop said skill.

As Terox said, if people don't back each other up then issues will never be resolved and you have only yourselves to blame when an issue persists because you choose to ignore it in the hope someone else will address it.

If you have the will and desire to see the community develop and see problems addressed then do not be afraid to speak up in a positive and constructive manner as negative comments will only breed negative replies. It's usually pretty obvious when you see people do this with a will to see the community develop as opposed to speaking up just to rub someones nose in the shit they just created.

If you are willing to speak up (in a constructive, positive manner) but find yourself with out support from the community and the problem persists, then approach an admin. This would be the right time and place (privately, with an admin) to present any evidence you have gathered to support your claim i.e. videos, audio recordings, screenshots, chat / server logs etc etc.

Personally, I am not a fan of publicly shaming. I don't think it achieves anything other than alienating people and creating unnecessary tension. If people are unwilling to discuss their shortcomings on the server and acknowledge any issues they created then make an admin aware and let them deal with it from there.

Otherwise.. as Terox said:
everyone needs to grow a pair and start supporting each other when some dick messes about during your game time
StealthySnowman.
Erppa

Post by Erppa »

Me and Hund had a 4 hour talk with Terox, including this subject.
He gave good ideas how to handle things on #2.
I look forward on improving things.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

Do we get to find out and discuss as a community on the idea's on how to handle things? Or are you just going to say you have plans but not tell anyone else them?
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cobra. wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:00 pm Do we get to find out and discuss as a community on the idea's on how to handle things? Or are you just going to say you have plans but not tell anyone else them?
The community meeting will address things like this (it is being working on and soon to be announced. People should not be going straight to Terox for issues like this...
Terox

Post by Terox »

1st Stage implemented:
The rules have been rewritten with examples that we can add to, as each "Issue" arises".
Browse to http://info.zeus-community.net and look at the rules page
The examples are for those that
a) Try and push the boundaries.
b) Do not have the right mentality to share the same virtual space we do.

For those of you (And I am well aware of who "those" are) who like to lean against the wall to see if it will move, be warned, the wall boundary is not a solid line, if you try leaning against it it will lean against you and fall on top of you or it will simply jump over you and you will find yourself on the wrong side of it.
This is exactly the reason why the rules are so generic. If you do not have the right mindset to keep well away from the wall, on your head be it and don't come crying to me.
Dealing with this type of issue is very demanding on time, its much easier and creates a much more healthy community to get rid than it is to deal with those that push it.
I nor Stealthy have any intention of spending the majority of our time on a minority of players, the majority deserve better.

Now for a heads-up (Warning) on what may occur.

If I am invited onto the No.2 (Or just pop in on the off chance) to deal with an issue caused by somebody attempting to push the boundaries who did not respond well when asked to refrain from whatever it was they were doing, here are the questions I will be asking
1) Basic questions about the issue, who, what, where, when, how etc (Basic questions)
2) More importantly If I then find the complaint to be justified
..... a) Who asked the individual to refrain from whatever actions were deemed as unacceptable
..... b) Who supported the person who asked the individual to refrain from those actions

My take on this will then be very simple
If you are the culprit and have not apologised, refrained from your actions and started being sensible, then expect a reprisal (Apology after I turn up will be too late)
If you knew what the individual was doing and did not speak up against it then you are guilty of being selfish (YES READ THE EXAMPLES)

It is now your duty, responsibility to inform all others about this post and the new rule set