Addon Server RULES

Any Topics related to the No.2 Server
Tom

Re: Addon Server RULES

Post by Tom »

That's the beauty of a forum, we both get to have our say.
And I get to tell you that I don't agree or that your reasoning makes no sense.

Back to topic: apart from admins cracking down on stupid behaviour on the server during sessions be it through being on the server or using an rCon like tool. There will be no improving. Chaperone sounds ok, training hasn't helped to improve discipline and focus. The only thing that will help is like on the no1, weed out the rotten apples before they infect the good ones.

And to be fair, we don't have that many problems. The biggest problem stems from wanting different things from arma and not being able to cater to everyone.
LtBlack-Fire

Post by LtBlack-Fire »

Tom wrote:That's the beauty of a forum, we both get to have our say.
And I get to tell you that I don't agree or that your reasoning makes no sense.
I Agree, and understand.. i am sorry if i disrespected you :)
Tom wrote:Back to topic: apart from admins cracking down on stupid behaviour on the server during sessions be it through being on the server or using an rCon like tool. There will be no improving. Chaperone sounds ok, training hasn't helped to improve discipline and focus. The only thing that will help is like on the no1, weed out the rotten apples before they infect the good ones.

And to be fair, we don't have that many problems. The biggest problem stems from wanting different things from arma and not being able to cater to everyone.
I don't think removing the infection will treat the wound specially when the infection destroyed most of the wound. Think of it as a tower, if there is a lot of the base damaged you would have two choices (1- to replace every single part that need to be fixed /2- demolish the tower and start from bottom up) the problem is not in the training, the problem is in the people! if you can't fix it, you must replace it or you will guarantee lose the Strength of the tower and it will eventually fall to its denied.

Online multiplayer games all have the same problem which is the people, treating it is impossible and the only way is to just WAIT. Who know's, maybe tomorrow have better people in it.:)
Tom

Post by Tom »

At the cost of potentially derailing the topic again, I believe we should look at it from another point of view...

Look at it from a company point of view: you have several several people you are managing. 2 of these perform brilliantly, 2 don't do so well.

You have several options:
they don't do well because they don't care. In that case you get rid of them after giving several warnings (kick/ban) without feelings or regret, you are better off without them.

They don't do wel, because they don't understand. But they are willing to learn. You don't (kick/ban) these people, because they are not being intentionally daft. You take them by the hand or you show them or even provide documentation to help them. If they are willing to learn they will start doing better. (Chaperone system)

The worst thing to do in this case is to wait, they will show the people who are doing well that not caring or not performing is ok. The bad behaviour/performance will spread. And simply cutting everyone down will also have a negative impact because it leads you nowhere.
ashley

Post by ashley »

in regards to what Tom has been saying, I too agree that they only way to properly regain the standard of play on server is to weed out the few rotten apples that we have.

We have many new very capable people joining the server now and it would be a shame for them to be affected by those few rotten apples.

So hopefully we will be able to complete some clear and concise rules here that will help improve the server.
LtBlack-Fire

Post by LtBlack-Fire »

Tom wrote: They don't do wel, because they don't understand. But they are willing to learn. You don't (kick/ban) these people, because they are not being intentionally daft. You take them by the hand or you show them or even provide documentation to help them. If they are willing to learn they will start doing better. (Chaperone system).
That what i meant with Replacing, who is willing to learn is the key to success even in real life. Knowledge is how you rule your life anyway. :)

The problem is the Rotten apples, Some will turn back to normal healthy and some will keep infecting, we need to stop the disease before it spread more..
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

LtBlack-Fire wrote:
Tom wrote: They don't do wel, because they don't understand. But they are willing to learn. You don't (kick/ban) these people, because they are not being intentionally daft. You take them by the hand or you show them or even provide documentation to help them. If they are willing to learn they will start doing better. (Chaperone system).
That what i meant with Replacing, who is willing to learn is the key to success even in real life. Knowledge is how you rule your life anyway. :)

The problem is the Rotten apples, Some will turn back to normal healthy and some will keep infecting, we need to stop the disease before it spread more..
Yeah, but to go back to the analogy of running a company, you can only give someone a limited amount of opportunities to improve himself. If he does not manage to be an asset to the team after attempt No. 3,4,5,6... he still gets fired.

That should be the creed: Look at yourself in an honest fashion and see if your presence is a ressource to the team. Be an asset! If all you do is create friction and drag then just leave or get removed. So let's cut the metaphorical crap with the "rotten apples" and have people get their head in the game for just those few minutes when things count and have them finally switch on or have 'em get switched off permanently.

To guide this BTT...: So because some people still don't understand what the above actually means we need some more accurate rules and guidelines to give you that idea. So you can't play the innocent lamb and say that you did not know what was asked of you when you fucked up once again.
Tom

Post by Tom »

What topics would we need then?

Behaviour / code of conduct ( I would expand on no1 if needed)
Gameplay
Knowledge (ask beforehand so you are at least aware before game night)

Something like that?
LtBlack-Fire

Post by LtBlack-Fire »

Another topic i want to talk about:

incase you told someone who keeps affecting the people around him that he need to get his shit together, but he doesn't responed to you.. should we give him more chances ? do we report him ? do we tell him he's useless to the community ? i had many cases trying to improve the quality of server 2 by advising some of the trained and untrained member when they go over the top telling a joke in the missions (e.g: making lots of unnecessary jokes about the mission or off topic while there is a fight going on).

now do get me wrong, making other people laugh during the mission to lower the "Boring"/"panic" level is something important and i do it myself too, but there is a limit that people need to learn when they reach it, they need to shut up and focus more on the objective. countless cases of missions getting screwed because of these guys and i am not blaming anyone here, it's a general thing that happen everyday.

I stopped advising people and pointing them at the right way, because i don't see a point. You told them or not they won't change, and if something doesn't work for a while, you just stop doing it because it's ineffective and case more of your brain cells to die.

Thing need to change, today or tomorrow. i hope we see those changes soon. :)
Backup

Post by Backup »

LtBlack-Fire wrote:I stopped advising people and pointing them at the right way, because i don't see a point. You told them or not they won't change, and if something doesn't work for a while, you just stop doing it because it's ineffective and case more of your brain cells to die.

The cause of the whole problem. CBA attitude to helping others because sometimes they wont listen.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Tom wrote:What topics would we need then?

Behaviour / code of conduct ( I would expand on no1 if needed)
Gameplay
Knowledge (ask beforehand so you are at least aware before game night)

Something like that?
These 2 are perfect for what we need. If we can get concise rules drawn up around these it would be great.
Backup wrote:
LtBlack-Fire wrote:I stopped advising people and pointing them at the right way, because i don't see a point. You told them or not they won't change, and if something doesn't work for a while, you just stop doing it because it's ineffective and case more of your brain cells to die.

The cause of the whole problem. CBA attitude to helping others because sometimes they wont listen.

This is one of the big problems to help get the server sorted as well. EVERYONE should be focused on making sure they can improve to help the standard of the server AND help others improve. If they don't listen after multiple times then they need to rethink their ability to play on the server with the help of an admin.
LtBlack-Fire

Post by LtBlack-Fire »

#MakeServer#2GreatAgain
Ivan J

Post by Ivan J »

So i went AFK last night for 5 min while there was some racing going on and when I came back I was dead and the answer I got when I asked what happened was that i was put down.

Is that where server 2 is going?
Tom

Post by Tom »

It is, admins dont care... look at server1 there is no one there because no one cares after stealthy.
LtBlack-Fire

Post by LtBlack-Fire »

Tom wrote:It is, admins dont care... look at server1 there is no one there because no one cares after stealthy.
What happen when you dont care enough for your plant? .. Yep.
Always Have A Zeus Mission...
Tipsi

Post by Tipsi »

Tom wrote:It is, admins dont care... look at server1 there is no one there because no one cares after stealthy.
Admins don't care? You been having too many of those Duvels Tom?

It's the Christmas holidays. Two things happen: Population of mature players goes down. Population of immature players goes up.

I've barely been around over the last few weeks because it's one of the few times in my life I get to touch base with my family and I'm sure it's the case for all the other admins too.

When the festive season is over I'm sure things will return to normal.

P.S Let's not go round in circles again in regards to behaviour on the number two server. Don't be afraid as a community member (and not an admin) to state the expectations of the #2 server. Get names and tell an admin about those who disrespect you or the server.