GM Mod and Server 3 (Voting booth)

Any Topics related to the No.1 Server

How to go forward with the GM Mod

Poll ended at Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Option 1 (GM Mod on a vanilla gaming night, first Sunday of the month)
35%
Option 2 (GM Mod on a non gaming night special session (Dates and frequency to be discussed in depth later)
19%
Option 3 (GM Mod on No.2 server only)
46%
Option 4 (Some other option I havent thought off, please follow it up with your 4th idea in the forum thread)
No votes

Total votes: 26

Terox

GM Mod and Server 3 (Voting booth)

Post by Terox »

GM Mod and Server 3

Following on from a discussion on the admin meeting caused by the low numbers we are seeing on server 3 and in conjunction with the GM Mod added to server 2 permanently.
How do you want to continue with GM mod on the No.3 server
These are the options we can see
1) GM on No.3 server once per month, specifically the 1st Sunday of the month
2) GM on No.3 on a special session (Non gaming night) (dates and frequency open to discussion)
3) Scrap GM mod on the No.3 and just run it on the addon server

Option 3 may be problematic if there are players who do not play on the addon server but wish to play GM mod
I have no idea how many would be affected by option 3, so if you do fall into this problematic option then please feel free to voice yourselves so i can get an idea on numbers

NOTE: GM DLC gamenights are currently suspended until we've recieved enough feedback to make a decision (standard server#1 gamenights will be back to every Sunday until stated otherwise).
Kovamies

Re: GM Mod and Server 1 (Voting booth)

Post by Kovamies »

If people just have issues with the guns and lack of GPS, we could make it so that new GM missions use modern equipment like other server 1 missions.

It'd be a shame to waste the Weferlingen terrain just because people don't like the guns.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

In this point of time of the games' lifetime, moving all mods/dlc from one server to another is the only option to get new players.

What I'm saying is, either have mods/dlc on server 1, or just remove all of them.
Server 2 is already known as a server where you need to put some extra into your game to be a part of it. Requiring GM would have minimal impact.

That being said, I do enjoy hopping on in the rare event that GM is running on server 3, so would like to see it stay on there.
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've made corrections to Terox's original post to avoid confusion (technically, we never ran GM on Server#1, just Server#3).

GM DLC gamenights are currently suspended until further notice while we wait for community feedback (every Sunday is now a standard Server#1 gamenight again).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Kovamies wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:28 pm If people just have issues with the guns and lack of GPS, we could make it so that new GM missions use modern equipment like other server 1 missions.

It'd be a shame to waste the Weferlingen terrain just because people don't like the guns.
The key complaints I've heard about GM are grievances with the kit/assets. Examples:
  • Some of the weapons have very restrictive iron sights (G3 and Uzi are the main culprits)
  • Many of the vehicles have relatively poor armour protection (see most west german armoured vehicles including the Leopard MBT)
  • No infantry body armour
I think the reason why many Server#1 regulars dislike GM is due to the sharp rise in difficulty due to the characteristics of the kit/assets used. Of course, this difference in kit is realistic for the time period but it does result in players being far more likely to be killed or blown up in a single shot in GM, whether you are an infantryman or a vehicle crew, in comparison to Server#1.

Note: To be clear, my writing about difficulty is not intended to be a knock against Server#1 regulars in any way.
Folau

Re: GM Mod and Server 3 (Voting booth)

Post by Folau »

I'm quite content with it being used for organised specials, however in my opinion there is neither the diversity of equipment/assets/missions to necessitate it being on so often as it is at present, nor is Weferlingen a particularly engrossing map compared to Livonia which was released shortly after it. As someone who doesn't go on S2 often due to time clashes whether or not they use it is up to them - it would probably fit better among ACE/RHS. There has been some new equipment announced (new T-55/M113 variants, SVD).

I probably disagree that it's a significant difficulty increase. The standard S1 medical system means you are often downed in one shot anyway (and rarely actually die) and most vehicles are fragile too against top-down Titan. In addition, we are relatively poor at using vehicles effectively, and I would argue spoiled by almost always having optics. I'm also not sure if mission design has accounted for the equipment standards, I personally never made anything for Weferlingen due to uncertainty about player numbers.

Then again with the Football season being back I'm not often online during Sundays, and if I am my attention is split between Arma and whatever Eagles game is on.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The biggest issue for me is indeed the weaponry. The primary weapon ironsights and lack of optics, the G3 in particular, are among the worst I've ever seen. I find the G3 basically unusable unless on the 100m setting, at which point the zeroing is so far off at longer ranges that even that doesn't work a lot of the time either.

Compounding that is the terrain. Weferlingen being very flat and open leads to a particularly high chance of long range engagements, which is when the failings of the weapons and their sights are at their worst. The AI are unaffected by how terrible the ironsights are so they'll have no such issues shooting back, and because we have 7.62mm weaponry with zero armour, it's pretty much one hit kill. I find myself completely outgunned by AI with equivalent gear and that's just not enjoyable.

Also the armour are all glass cannons and there are no air or naval assets of any sort, so variety is more limited. Essentially I find it annoying rather than fun to play as infantry, annoying rather than fun to play an armoured role... and there's nothing else to play as.

Yes we could use 2035 kit on the Weferlingen map, but I'd still pass on a GM gamenight unless I knew that would be the case for every mission. Otherwise I'm strongly in favour of keeping it off regular Thursday/Sunday gamenights.
Ingame/TS: Dave One
Terox

Post by Terox »

OUTCOME having discussed this further in the admin meeting.
GM Mod permanently on No.2
If anyone wishes to have a special based on GM mod then standard system to get it in place