Windows 10 update killed my SSD

Wombat

Windows 10 update killed my SSD

Post by Wombat »

We don't have an "off topic" section or anything appropriate so I thought this would be the best place to post this thread.

Not long after midnight 15/09/16, I selected the "Update and Shutdown" option when I decided to shutdown my PC. This is obviously typical behaviour when there has been a Windows 10 update which needs installing.

Later that day, I power up my PC and find that instead of booting up as usual, I receive "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device" message. I go into BIOS settings and find that my SSD is no longer displayed as if the SSD can't be detected.

I've swapped the old data and power cables used by the SSD with backup cables and plugged them into different backup ports on the PSU and motherboard to see if it was just something wrong with the cables or ports. The SSD still didn't show up.

I've removed the SSD and connected it into another PC to see what happens. Turns out, the other PC cannot detect the SSD either.

After those tests, it's safe to assume the SSD has died. Is it just a coincidence that it died right after attempting to install the latest Windows 10 update?

For reference, my SSD was a "Samsung 2.5-Inch 250 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive", I've only had it for 9 months and it was close to full (about 10-15GB remaining) before it died.

Reason I created this thread is partly just to rant but also to ask your opinion if I should just treat this like an unlucky accident or if I should be very wary when it comes to SSDs and Windows 10 updates. Any other advice would be appreciated.
Tom

Re: Windows 10 update killed my SSD

Post by Tom »

Did you pc shut down during isntalling the update?
Killed an hdd once like that...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Tom wrote:Did you pc shut down during isntalling the update?
Killed an hdd once like that...
I don't remember doing that and it's not something I would normally do, though since you asked I'm second guessing myself now...

It's a bit like the "did I turn the gas off?" conundrum lol

Post by 2600K »

If it's not detected in the BIOS it's certainly dead, but its more than likely a strange coincidence regarding w10 updates.

At least its still in warranty, always back up your important stuff/google drive it etc - Nothing lasts forever!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

2600K wrote:At least its still in warranty, always back up your important stuff/google drive it etc - Nothing lasts forever!
Bought it from a company called EliteGSM through Amazon UK. Checked the purchase details to see if there was any mention of guaranteed warranty but couldn't find anything. However, I think the EU 2 years warranty law should cover this scenario so I've sent an email to the company asking for repair or replacement.

Lucky didn't lose anything vitally important when it comes to the data. Still have backups for that stuff.
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

Wasn't the UK leaving the EU? :o
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

eXodus wrote:Wasn't the UK leaving the EU? :o
The referendum may have resulted in leave but we haven't officially left yet. The UK is still an EU member for the time being.

Not looking forward to saying goodbye to that EU consumer protection among other things :(