Suggestions for Server 1 Improvement

Any Topics related to the No.1 Server
Layden

Suggestions for Server 1 Improvement

Post by Layden »

The Community meeting is approaching (not sure what date), over the past few weeks I've been gathering suggestions from both guests and long standing members about server 1. The suggestions have been aimed at a variety of areas within both the server and away from it, regarding the population of players which has been lacking over the last half year. The Most populated i have recently seen the server away from game night was last night (19th May 2017) where the population peaked at 20ish which i have only seen happen once in the last few months - normally the population never goes above 10.

The main bulk of the suggestions have been about the mission (Patrol Ops), how it is played and how it is managed. This thread is not for talking about the lack of skill from players or anything of that nature, as playing standards improve with good experience within the server which is what needs to be provided by the community.

Suggestions i have been consolidating are as follows:

Please add any points or ideas you have to this thread that can help boost population no matter how big or small the point is.

1. Leadership/Playing structure: The current organisation of server 1 is that there are very few members and admins playing on it meaning that the quality of play declines and that new players come and go very quickly due to lack of structure with both the community and server regrading server 1. The main issue here is that when members come on the server they will leave the leadership roles to new players giving a bad gameplay experience, this can be improved by members taking leadership roles and giving a good role model for them to follow in the future.
There is already a thread relating to this point in relativity. link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=593

2. Lobby: Heavy weapons squads (Delta and Echo) should be put at the top of the ORBAT so that new players can see some structure to the server. At the moment they cannot be seen unless you scroll down to their current position on the second page of slots. Basically if a JIP can see a squad with people in it they are more likely to join it and stay in it.

3. Guidance: There is currently no clear guidance for new players as to where to join first in lobby, how to use the PDA (3d hud, view distance, etc) and how to the the comms properly. All this info is shown on the zeus info tab on the map but it is not easy to find as new player unless you are told its there. The best possible way of guidance is by Zeus Members who can tell new people all of this info very quickly or even better a Game Admin! An alternate is putting basic info directly onto the map as Permanent markers such as the current ORBAT layout which is clear and concise. Or could the 3D hud etc be noted on screen as Hint text when the player first spawns in? (i.e. after the "Patrol Ops" title screen)

4. Accessibility: Missions should generally stick to vanilla maps (Altis and Stratis) away from game nights to maximise the amount of players who can use on the server, without having to use dlc,

5. Structured missions: a lot of people have also said that we should stick to patrol ops, as insurgency tends to kill population as there is less structure due to multiple objectives. Insurgency is also a lot less clear than patrol ops in terms of objectives. The original patrol ops has never really had any issues unless it has been badly edited so it would be a good idea to stick with it.

5. Customisation: Freedom within classes has all been brought up as the arsenal is now super strict, I personally understand why this is in place as i have seen the server with an effectively full arsenal available and it was chaos. But the arsenal is now so strict that effectively you have no freedom at all, not even with scopes. An example would be to allow the use of the SPAR allowing a little more weapons freedom as well as the MX meaning if you don't have the dlc you can use a vanilla weapon relating back to point 3. It would also be nice to get access to more scopes such as the MRCO, ERCO, ACO and Holographic

6. Members: At the moment server 1 isn't getting much attention and could do with a little more focus on it and a bit more love from all members of the community during non-gamenight evenings, as i have seen previously zeus missions tend to boost server 1's population so please don't hesitate to ask whoever is logged in as admin if you can do a zeus mission, just ensure you have some sort of plan if you'd like to do one as going into zeus without one can sometimes end badly (talking from experience).

7. There are also many minor things such as earplugs and distances between objectives which make a big difference to gameplay which could be tidied up a little when the new patrol ops is released.

Please add similar points to this thread as to make life easier when it comes to the community meeting and talking about server 1.
Karle

Re: Suggestions for Server 1 Improvement

Post by Karle »

As I've said before, the reason I tend to only play games nights on server 1 is because server 2 with the mods is more appealing. I chat a lot of shit with another lad when I play (too much sometimes....) and TFAR makes this less of an annoyance to others for a start. And you tend too miss the little things like Enhanced Movement on server 1.
The other big point is Arma's age now. Ive got 1500+ hours on it and know a lot of people with more. Granted the Mission Devs do a great job coming up with new missions, but eventually you end up being in the same areas doing the same shit, people get bored and start losing interest. The new DLC crap may spark a rise in numbers again though.

But yeah tldr; People are bored of (vanilla) Arma, wait for the new shiny shit for it.
Last edited by Karle on Mon May 22, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

For me personally, nothing would get me to play on server 1 except the server night, when server 2 is open. There is nothing there that would make me want to play on it. Who can sincerely play arma without the mods that have become a must rather than something fancy. TFAR as Karle pointed out is critical, alongside with the lack of customization and ... well, pretty much everything. BUT! There is one thing that would make me play aloot of it on server 1. Jets and Jets. Now with ace, the gravity while flying those jets kinda kills the dogfighting aspect of it, so without ace, its actually pretty great. I personally would implement the thing that server 2 lacks and might cater to a lot of people - stupid fun. But for that, you need mods... not all, but some.. So, in the end, to kill the boredom of vanilla arma, you need mods.
Face

Post by Face »

The only time ill join server one is if I see there is more people on the teamspeak there than server 2. A big reason why I hate server one is the cancer of coms. If the regulars on server one pushed guests to use ts more than you might see me popping in more often.
Aiming is Overrated
Wolfy_

Post by Wolfy_ »

Glad we're having this discussion. Firstly, I'd just like to dispel the idea that Arma 3 is somehow 'dying' or people are less interested in Arma. On the contrary, as a general trend player count for Arma is actually going up. (Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/107410#All). Maybe players are less attracted to realism, but it is unfair to suggest that Arma's player base is declining.

Secondly, have we ever experimented with just TFAR on Server 1? How did that affect player base? Maybe something to consider. TFAR currently has 200k subscribers, (Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =620019431) so it's fair to say most players use it. I believe even those roleplay servers use it. This may be worth considering if a lot of Server 2 regulars feel it's necessary if they're going to play. I remember a lot of the public servers in Arma 2 had only ACRE as a requirement - it certainly makes everyone act a little more mature because the usage of radios makes everything that bit more formalised.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Wolfy_ wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 pmSecondly, have we ever experimented with just TFAR on Server 1? How did that affect player base? Maybe something to consider. TFAR currently has 200k subscribers, (Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =620019431) so it's fair to say most players use it. I believe even those roleplay servers use it. This may be worth considering if a lot of Server 2 regulars feel it's necessary if they're going to play. I remember a lot of the public servers in Arma 2 had only ACRE as a requirement - it certainly makes everyone act a little more mature because the usage of radios makes everything that bit more formalised.
Server 1 has and always will be easily accessible, to do this, we make sure there are no required addons to join it. Adding TFAR will make the server less accessible. The addition of addons to our Vanilla server isn't the way to go. I think its just a case of people getting bored of Patrol Ops. Everyones seen how fast people on server 2 get bored of the seeder mission on there, the same applies for server 1, which is why most of them don't play on it.
Karle

Post by Karle »

Wolfy_ wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 pm Glad we're having this discussion. Firstly, I'd just like to dispel the idea that Arma 3 is somehow 'dying' or people are less interested in Arma. On the contrary, as a general trend player count for Arma is actually going up. (Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/107410#All). Maybe players are less attracted to realism, but it is unfair to suggest that Arma's player base is declining.
Those stats show people who have played at least once in the month. I play at least once a month (mainly games nights) but I'm still kinda bored of Arma at the mo. Good luck trying to dispel people are bored of Arma when they actually are.... You only have to jump on TS. Theres loads of people always on but not playing Arma.
Wolfy_

Post by Wolfy_ »

ashley wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:18 pm Server 1 has and always will be easily accessible, to do this, we make sure there are no required addons to join it. Adding TFAR will make the server less accessible. The addition of addons to our Vanilla server isn't the way to go. I think its just a case of people getting bored of Patrol Ops. Everyones seen how fast people on server 2 get bored of the seeder mission on there, the same applies for server 1, which is why most of them don't play on it.
How do you think we can make Server 1 more exciting? Do you think the new Patrol Ops will help?
Karle wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:13 pm Those stats show people who have played at least once in the month. I play at least once a month (mainly games nights) but I'm still kinda bored of Arma at the mo. Good luck trying to dispel people are bored of Arma when they actually are.... You only have to jump on TS. There's loads of people always on but not playing Arma.
What would get you excited about Arma again?
Layden

Post by Layden »

Wolfy_ wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 pm Secondly, have we ever experimented with just TFAR on Server 1? How did that affect player base? Maybe something to consider. TFAR currently has 200k subscribers, (Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =620019431) so it's fair to say most players use it. I believe even those roleplay servers use it. This may be worth considering if a lot of Server 2 regulars feel it's necessary if they're going to play. I remember a lot of the public servers in Arma 2 had only ACRE as a requirement - it certainly makes everyone act a little more mature because the usage of radios makes everything that bit more formalised.
What I believe people don't understand is that without server 1 bringing in new totally vanilla players there would be no server 2 as there wouldn't be enough new players coming into it via server 1, therefore we cannot use mods on server 1 unless they're client-side, the server needs to be as accessible as possible to all of the arma community.

also 200k is only 6.66% of the arma community and there is talk of a new patrol ops in the work which should be available in the next few months with new dlc content.
Wolfy_

Post by Wolfy_ »

Layden wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 pm What I believe people don't understand is that without server 1 bringing in new totally vanilla players there would be no server 2 as there wouldn't be enough new players coming into it via server 1, therefore we cannot use mods on server 1 unless they're client-side, the server needs to be as accessible as possible to all of the arma community.

also 200k is only 6.66% of the arma community and there is talk of a new patrol ops in the work which should be available in the next few months with new dlc content.
Eta for Patrol Ops 4 is June 2017! :D (Source: http://arma.roy86.com.au/index.php/Patrol_Operations).

Not all of the players on Server 2 come from vanilla; I, for example, came straight to Server 2 due to my previous MILSIM history - there's a lot of players like me who come to Arma solely for the serious gaming aspect, we can't expect to convert a bunch of roleplay players to MILSIM. Sell Fords to people who like Fords, and Aston Martins to people who like Aston Martins. I feel it would be worthwhile to try TFAR or ACRE on Server 1.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Wolfy_ wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm Not all of the players on Server 2 come from vanilla; I, for example, came straight to Server 2 due to my previous MILSIM history - there's a lot of players like me who come to Arma solely for the serious gaming aspect, we can't expect to convert a bunch of roleplay players to MILSIM. Sell Fords to people who like Fords, and Aston Martins to people who like Aston Martins. I feel it would be worthwhile to try TFAR or ACRE on Server 1.

A vaste majority of players that are on server 2 have come from server 1. There may be a small amount that don't, sure, but we still have to keep server 1 accessible for people who just want easily accessed casual milsim.

Adding TFAR would probably make it a lot better, but then we are taking away the accessibility of the server. A new patrol ops or another type of seeder mission is what is needed to breathe life back in to server 2, not taking away its vanilla nature.
Wolfy_

Post by Wolfy_ »

ashley wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:43 pm A vaste majority of players that are on server 2 have come from server 1. There may be a small amount that don't, sure, but we still have to keep server 1 accessible for people who just want easily accessed casual milsim.

Adding TFAR would probably make it a lot better, but then we are taking away the accessibility of the server. A new patrol ops or another type of seeder mission is what is needed to breathe life back in to server 2, not taking away its vanilla nature.
It was just a suggestion, just throwing ideas out there, I do agree with keeping it's Vanilla Nature after reading your post :D
Karle

Post by Karle »

Wolfy_ wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:36 pm
Karle wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:13 pm Those stats show people who have played at least once in the month. I play at least once a month (mainly games nights) but I'm still kinda bored of Arma at the mo. Good luck trying to dispel people are bored of Arma when they actually are.... You only have to jump on TS. There's loads of people always on but not playing Arma.
What would get you excited about Arma again?
Shiny new shit ;) New Islands, vehicles, guns, you get the picture :)
Lionheart

Post by Lionheart »

Arma 4 would get me excited about arma again... sometimes i feel like i'm the only person who sees how bad the game is, yet i still play for the unique experience the game provides.

A couple of things could significantly improve the community;
- If there was a way i can be notified when s1 has 12+ players currently online during regular night, i'd join more often.
- Make more Zeus events. Minor gamenights that are less regular/scheduled, perhaps planned a day or so before or just in a few minutes time. Announcements for upcoming "Zeus" sessions on regular nights can boost numbers. Encourage people to find your steam group for this to work.
- More tender love and care from admins and veteran members for s1 on regular nights. This will make members come back for gamenights. That was what made me stay when i first found this community.
- A fair schedule for s2 being open. s2 players can perhaps use s1 as a meeting point or warm-up until they have the numbers for s2.
- Task force radio will do wonders but is worrying if new members can't get set up. This can be frustrating to some, but if you can convince them it's worth the hassle, they might not give up easy.
- When missions are bad, or badly executed, it feels like we wasted an hour setting up, planning, briefing, playing, debriefing... More veteran players need to be in charge of missions to ensure gameplay quality.
Eagle-Eye

Post by Eagle-Eye »

Lionheart wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:03 am - If there was a way i can be notified when s1 has 12+ players currently online during regular night, i'd join more often.
Don't think you can get notifications, but what I often do is check Gametracker to find out how many players are on servers I play on. You can find Server 1 here. Doesn't look like Server 2's on there (yet?), but just hopping on TS and checking Server 2 channels gives you some indication.

Since this forum has bars on both sides that aren't used at the moment, perhaps the staff could implement widgets there to show server stats? TS3Viewer (or similar) would be a minimum IMO, and Gametracker banners for S1 are customizable here.