Spring Special Event

Do you support this proposition for an event? Anyone make missions?

Players Yes
100%
Players No
No votes
Mission maker Yes
No votes
Admin backer
No votes

Total votes: 2

Beyond your Ken

Spring Special Event

Post by Beyond your Ken »

It has been a while since we have had a special event. So I am trying to get an event started.

Time Frame: March 20 & 23

Event: Extra mods on top of server#2

Mission of Event: Showcase of mods that mission makers would like to try out and to generate interest. If we may want to add set mod to server#2. Lastly to try an interesting asset for a rare occasion.

Rule for the event: Mission maker can add 3 mods per mission he will make for that event. Mods for the mission to be must be submitted to this post before March 10 for the full list to posted.

Need at least 4 or more mission makers for this event.
Last edited by Beyond your Ken on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Ben]

Re: Spring Special Event

Post by [Ben] »

Firstly i applaud your initiative and intent. However if you could please follow the steps outlined in our documentation for proposing special events here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xpE ... x6m586tlou

Makes things a lot easier for planning, execution and managing the players expectations.

Thanks.
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.
Beyond your Ken

What steps I have I missed? The mods have not been chosen by mission makers yet. Name can't be made from one particular mod. Or to the effect of a Minor event?

Or do I need to book it with you?
Last edited by Beyond your Ken on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

Well the main issue is kind of the premise of "The mods have not been chosen by mission makers yet." What happens if you have 6 mission makers all wanting different mod sets? I can appreciate you may not know the work that goes into setting up and configuring servers, but it is a reasonable amount of work for a single modset that is known ahead of time.

But if i am understanding your post right, there is the potential for multiple mod sets that needs to be downloaded, make sure they are all keyed, put on the server in the correct configurations, and then have them ready to be pulled out and another set loaded on the fly?

Plus there is the logistics for the players, it is hard enough getting players to download and correctly install one modpack for an event E.G Iron Front, but to potentially have players download and setup shortcuts and remember which days require which mods is going to be nigh impossible.

A event has to come with the modset already lined out, so far these have followed a theme, which allows mission makers and players alike to have a vague idea of what to expect and can make a judgement on if it is content they are likely to want to play. It also allows for a consistent tone for the gamenights themselves, i can envision it being jarring spending one mission fighting Raptors and Zombies because there was a mission made for that content, and then next mission we are all Spartans from the Halo mod.

If you want to treat this thread as a: "I want to run a special, what mods might you like to see in a special?" to garner ideas and suggestions that's fine. Then pitch it to an admin or two, if you can get an admins support before you make the proposal post as outlined in the special events documentation that makes life a lot smoother down the line, both with liasing for mission content and keeping the admin team apprised of the progress.

Thanks.
Beyond your Ken

Trying to get a special event started in quick fashion. The premise for mission makers was to find the mods they required and post them here before the event so we have the masterlist of mods posted. Unfortunately I don't have much time left before may not enough spare time after March to do anything for the community. So I was trying to get a special event started in quick fashion.

Didn't know you had to have an admin support you before you set the proposal out but required them for the event to occur[maybe this into the docs]. Thus I put that on the poll to see if their would be one to support this. I didn't think you need to configure server or that it would take much time for it work.

To pitch mission makers for the mods they would like and then pitch it to admin to after that get enough vote and then make the mission and get servers configure is going to take much more time. So I guess I will have to cancel this and do it right next time. Maybe next year.

/ thread to avoid confusion and because I do not know how.
Ender

Post by Ender »

I think it's a great and unique idea! :)

Now I do not have remotely as much knowledge in configuring a server for the mods involved but I do have a intuition that Ben's statements are true but exaggerated. I personally wouldn't find it a problem what so ever in getting mods for each day ready, even with a slow internet. I think Zeus members are more then competant enough to handle this simple task. I believe the problem has more to do with a minority being afraid of things that are different then what we are used to. It's not the end of the world either way and it certainly isn't S1 were a problem could crash the player base.

This event will expand our knowledge in what mods we like and which we don't and every day of the event will be a new and unique experience. By Black Fire's suggestion to the mod issue everyone will have more then enough time to prepare.
The premise for mission makers was to find the mods they required and post them here before the event so we have the masterlist of mods posted.
I admire your initiative and I hope to see this take place.

Kind regards
It is the challenge that makes one better, to push one's limit and actively look for things to do better- Ender
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

Beyond your Ken wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 am Trying to get a special event started in quick fashion.
Unfortunately this isn't how it works, these things require lots of time and planning, and usually span months before actual execution because everyone is here at their own convenience, everyone has their own shit going on in their lives that takes presidence, and so gathering and testing modsets, configuring servers, making missions, testing missions all takes a lot longer than we would like because of the amount of wiggle room we need to give people.
Beyond your Ken wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 am Didn't know you had to have an admin support you before you set the proposal out but required them for the event to occur

As i said, it is not "required" just makes things go smoother, allows an admin to be ready to answer questions that may be posted in the proposal thread, allows me to be given a heads up and not be blindsighted by a proposed event, etc.
Ender wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am I think it's a great and unique idea! :)

Now I do not have remotely as much knowledge in configuring a server for the mods involved but I do have a intuition that Ben's statements are true but exaggerated.
I can confirm to you that your "intuition" about my statement being exaggerated is incorrect, given that i have setup and assisted in administering 5 special events, the same issues crop up over and over again, as outlined in my post above. Not sure what gave you this "intuition" given that you just said that you do not have relevant knowledge on the subject.
Ender wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am I personally wouldn't find it a problem what so ever in getting mods for each day ready, even with a slow internet. I think Zeus members are more then competant enough to handle this simple task.
Kind regards
I congratulate you on being confident enough to be able to install mods and launch them on your own initiative, there is indeed a sub set of people that can achieve this. However as before with previous events we have seen time and time again this is not the majority of players. The reason a major special event starts on a saturday at mid-day is to reduce the number of players that arrive with issues at the start of the gamenight. The last two major special events that were run, at least 50% of the player base had problems configuring and launching mods, despite clear written documentation.

I will close the thread at Kens request. As i said above, if you want to run a special and do not have a concrete idea or theme for one, then putting up a thread on here to ask for suggestions is a much better idea then trying to dive straight into getting something approved. There is documentation on special events procedure for a reason, it has worked perfectly fine for the last 3 events run.

Thanks.