Tactical Ping

What is your opinion on the "tactical ping"? (Read thread before voting)

I would prefer for it to be removed and not replaced
12%
I would prefer to keep it as is
6%
I would prefer to remove it and replace it with a new feature (Dmitry's post)
76%
I am unsure
6%

Total votes: 17

Wombat

Re: Tactical Ping

Post by Wombat »

Dmitry Yuri wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 pm I've just had a poke about in the ACE Pointing addon and there is nothing in there that really requires their mod to work. The only thing I would not be able to bring across is their custom image for the 3d marker. But any vanilla map marker can be substituted for that.

I have taken some of the ace code and rewritten some of it myself to get this 'proof of concept' in vanilla arma. It uses the same basic conditions that ace pointing has, any player that is not in a vehicle (excluding statics) that is within 4m of the pointing player will see this 3d marker. If you are not the pointing player then you have some randomisation added to the marker draw location.

As for technical limitations the only thing that I need to investigate some more is the key handling. CBA allows you to define a default key that can call a function. And the player has the ability to change that key in the controls menu under configure addons. Without CBA it becomes slightly more convoluted to give the user the ability to change the key (mainly because of key modifiers like ctrl, shift and alt).

I may end up doing something like, if you have CBA loaded then it uses that for key handling. If not then you have to use the default key that I tell you to use. But I may be able to figure out what key the client uses for the tactical ping and use that.

// Edit: If anyone is unaware, CBA is an addon we have in ZClient that contains lots of useful functions. If we wanted this to be a feature for all players who join the #1 server even if they don't have ZClient loaded, then this script cannot require CBA.

That sounds very promising Dmitry. A solution similar to what you've described would be fantastic. A very useful function which isn't OP or immersion breaking. The best of both worlds.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Wombat, maybe we can add Dmitry's solution to the poll?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Poll has been updated with new option. Poll has been reset, you will need to vote again.
Dmitry Yuri

Post by Dmitry Yuri »

Zeus Pointing has been added to the #1 server.

It uses whatever button(s) you have set for the vanilla tactical ping.
If you want to rebind your zeus pointing / tatical ping button then go to (Settings >> Controls >> Multiplayer >> Tactical Ping)
Karle

Post by Karle »

Don't know wether its somethings being changed and its being mentioned, but we couldnt get it working tonight. The circle was popping up client side, and we could see the person pointing, but couldnt see their circle.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Karle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 pm Don't know wether its somethings being changed and its being mentioned, but we couldnt get it working tonight. The circle was popping up client side, and we could see the person pointing, but couldnt see their circle.
Just now I asked Cookie and milki (there has got to be a joke in there somewhere) to do a test and they say it is working. Don't forget that you have to be right next to the pointer (within 4 metres) to see the marker.
Karle

Post by Karle »

We were stood directly behind each other (i could bipod on him), is there a minimum range for it?

EDIT: to clarify as well, i could see my own circle but not the other guys circles, and they could see their own circles, but not mine.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I have no clue why it would not work for you then. Test again with someone else next time.

EDIT: Is it possible whoever was doing the pointing when behind the other player, when trying to point over his shoulder, unknowingly pointed at his body instead and not the target in the distance?
Karle

Post by Karle »

Front man pointing, rear man watching. Could see arm moving but no circle
Dmitry Yuri

Post by Dmitry Yuri »

What mission were you playing? Did you try it in any other missions that night? Were you or the other player in a static weapon?
Karle

Post by Karle »

Ah, it could be the mission, it was an old one apparently. Forgot to try it in others to be honest, don't use it much :P
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I believe the mission was "co 50 100MC33 Coastal Erosion v04" (Altis). Correct me if I'm wrong.
IceBreakerMM

Post by IceBreakerMM »

Wombat wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm I believe the mission was "co 50 100MC33 Coastal Erosion v04". Correct me if I'm wrong.
I will confirm, not correct you. It was indeed Coastal Erosion, I believe they can be heard talking about it in my video (unintentional shameful plug).
“If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life.”

- Igor Sikorsky
Fish

Post by Fish »

NEVER LIKE D TACTICAL PING. ITS A CHEAT PLAIN AND SIMPLE.