Iron Front WW2 Event

Do you want to play a week long Iron Front WW2 event?

Yes
72%
No
20%
I don't care
8%

Total votes: 25

Bill

Iron Front WW2 Event

Post by Bill »

The Iron Front mod has been updated since I last checked it out and now seems to be a lot more rounded and complete so I think it might be time to consider an event.

Bear in mind, this is just a proposal, nothing set in stone. If there is enough interest here then I will pester our server technician to see if it can be run on our servers without any issues, recruiting mission makers for the event and looking into when it could take place.

Here is the mod in question: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =660460283

Weighs in at about 4GB and contains;

-Three factions, Germans, US (With some RAF planes, no British ground forces unfortunately) and Russians.
-Each faction has infantry, vehicles, static weapons and aircraft along with a good selection of weapons.
-Nine maps with winter variants for two of the maps. (Also includes winter variants for the units)
-Works with our server 2 modpack from what I can tell.

Pro's;

-A new setting with all of the challenges that WW2 missions would bring
-Good variety in terrain allowing for lots of different types of missions
-Well rounded factions with lots of assets
-Possibility of having missions take place on terrains we already have, Chenarus, Napf and Aliabad could all potentially work as settings.

Con's;

-It's still the lite version so some of the textures leave something to be desired
-No Brits, as we all know WW2 was won completely by American actors

Probably more cons but that's off the top of my head.

What do you think? Yay or nay?

Discuss away.
Wombat

Re: Iron Front WW2 Event

Post by Wombat »

For those who have tested it, when it comes to quality (textures, models, config, bugs etc.), is it similar to Unsung or is it better or worse?
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

I have been monitoring IFA for ages and would be the first to support and contribute to a special or even something bigger. I've been meaning to do one for ages but certain things kept me off so far. Yes, at first glance this mod seems alright but there are too many little bugs and glitches that meet the eye after a closer look. Another huge showstopper are indeed the lite textures which just are a complete no-go for me. Considering however that the IFA devs have been hinting at striving for a deal with AWAR on this matter to achieve more high res textures this will hopefully be resolved sometime in the future. Until then I would rather wait also considering that they just started integrating all of the old I44 content which will bring a whole 'nother batch of problems and issues with it (ie. misconfigured stuff galore).

Give it more time, yo. They are working hard and patching regularly. This mod/ conversion is going to be/ can be great. However, it's just not there yet.

Also, thread title is clickbait :P . Accurate title would be "Interest poll on *current title*".
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

^This. As much as I want a WW2 mod it isn't upto the I44 standard yet that ArmA 2 had. We best not ruin it before it's ready.

There are smaller currently better modelled mods out there (however with less equipment) such as Faces of War and in a more unheard of scenario CSA. Which could function as smaller game nights or events.

I really want a WW2 gamenight but not yet whilst they are still working on IFA3.

Along with the I44 maps and tanks having issues due to just being ported straight from it. (Some maps colouring is fubar (ultra bright) and AI looking through bushes which would ruining northern France. Some tanks have fucked up seating and positioning)

It's less fucked than Unsung however since that's a mess really.

FOW : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... ces+of+War

CSA : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... chtext=CSA
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
OldManVegas

Post by OldManVegas »

DYAFTB
Last edited by OldManVegas on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

I've thought of that Vegas trust me, but it would be a massive file.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

OldManVegas

Post by OldManVegas »

DYAFTB
Last edited by OldManVegas on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

Post by Bill »

So the poll has been up for nearly a week and not quite enough support for an event, I guess I will wait a few more days and see if anyone else wants to chime in.

As for the idea of combining the three mod's I am not entirely against it but I am concerned about potential compatibility issues between them.

For Striker and Cobra's points I do agree but I feel that the quality of Iron Front is at least on par with Unsung for IF's worst assets and far superior for the best assets along with offering a much bigger variety in terrains and assets without flooding the mod with hundreds of different uniform variants. Yes there are some issues with bug's and errors here and there but with a bit of quality control before any event I feel we could easily make sure they don't rear their heads. It is being updated but I don't think it's ever going to be perfect so how long do we wait, a few months? A year? Maybe even longer? I dunno, I just want to yell 'Schnell! Schnell!' at my comrades while we show the Jerries what for eh lads?
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

The Airborne update is just round the corner, I'd wait till after that.