Voice Activation (no.2 specific)

SirBeagles

Voice Activation (no.2 specific)

Post by SirBeagles »

I'm here as a person who fucking hates push-to-talk. I'd like voice activation to be enabled on the number two. I give my reasons twofold. Firstly, voice activation increases immersion. [Removed]

Discuss.
Last edited by MURRAY122 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Abusive language
Bank

Re: Voice Activation (no.2 specific)

Post by Bank »

I believe that we have push-to-talk for a number of reasons. Voice Activated is very annoying when people have loud keyboards/ a cough/ loud people in the room with them/ an annoying habit of clearing their voice/ a tendency to not have a filter and swear and react all the time. For these reasons I think that Voice Activation should not be enabled.
Not wrong, just an asshole
Face

Post by Face »

I agree that push to talk does suck. However, voice activation probably would not be a great idea for the reasons bank has said unless there are tools or permissions in TS that would allow admins to regulate who is allowed voice activation. Or you could just trust others in the community to be willing and able to turn back on push to talk themselves when they are becoming disruptive, but common we all know that is a long shot.
Aiming is Overrated
Rory

Post by Rory »

In the social channels hearing someones phone go off or you having a conversation with your mrs is a regular occurrence. If everyone had that in game then I fear I would have to go through on the many promises I have made to everyone and actually kill myself.

I wish voice activation wasn't allowed on TS at all. Apart from the "hassle of pushing a button" I don't see why its needed and I just get triggered like a tumblr feminist when I can hear someones phone or family in the background.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

Whilst I personally dislike Voice activation because I talk to much as it is, I do like how it captures how it actually feels due (e.g. Being shot and shouting "oh shit" which wouldn't normally be captured with PTT) people do need to learn how to bind a key to mute their mic if a phone call comes up which solves most of the issues in a single button press.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
Backup

Post by Backup »

I have had the pleasure of using this back in the olden days when i was an admin. Now it is bloody brilliant to have immersion wise, saves having to press a button every time you talk (even if it does come as second nature the longer you use it) but it also does have its downsides as pointed above. Background noise, real life sounds etc, and the biggest problem for me is that some people have horrible mics. I don't want to hear the sound of static and having to tell people to constantly mute their mics in the middle of a gunfight if i'm squad leading and have more pressing matters to attend to. As much as a privilege it would be to have, it would cause more harm than good imo.
I feel like I get older every day - Smolof
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I agree with Bank. The cons outweigh the pros.

It's already distracting and annoying when someone has a hot-mic when PTT is forced. It's not hard to imagine how much worse it would be if voice activation were to be enabled.

Besides, after using PTT for so long, I find I subconsciously hold down my PTT key any time I speak even if it's just to utter an expletive in alarm. So I personally don't find any loss in immersion when using PTT now.
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

Don't drink and post plz ;)
ashley

Post by ashley »

No matter what key you use PTT will always conflict with something. For that reason I don't use it. If its enabled on server 2 then it'll just break my immersion and be very annoying when squadleading/commanding and would most definately stop me taking those roles.

I also don't think the cons outweigh the pros, there are many pros to voice activation.
Tom

Post by Tom »

So used to push to talk that I click the button when I'm not in ts.... I have a mouse with two extra buttons on the side and use those.

To be honest I couldn't care less. If people want to use voice activation? Let them
Manx95

Post by Manx95 »

Really really don't think Voice Activation should be considered. Far too often have i heard people on phone calls, loud house mates/family.

I agree pushing a key to talk does break immersion but i would rather that be my immersion break than hearing little Johnny's mum tell him to get off and do his homework.
Frags will make ya go boooom! :lol: :lol:
Terox

Post by Terox »

Unfortunately the server cannot control self discipline issues, and where there are some who would not cause any issues with voice activation, there are plenty more that will. 13 years experience of running this type of gaming environment tells me PTT is the only way in an arma game.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Tom wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 am
To be honest I couldn't care less. If people want to use voice activation? Let them
Yup, should be left to a choice rather than people being forced to use something they don't like. Some people prefer PTT and see more value in it than voice activation, and vice versa.

People not holding their PTT button down for long enough to hear what the last thing they said seems to be a problem in this community and is an annoyance you also have to use an uncomfortable key as it conflicts with every application known to man, if the key sticks on the hotmicing is real, you speak over LR/SR radio if you use it to quick after speaking on the radio. But PTT has no cons eh?
Phishton

Post by Phishton »

Would it be a worth while venture to have a small test of such an idea? perhaps one of the off nights just a normal game but with PTT being optional and voice act. being introduced, just as a means to see if the concept can proceed past that, a concept. I see the cons being people with phones ringing and real life chatter but its another area for some small discipline, And as the comms are now even with PTT i still hear phones ringing and real world shit seeping into my ears. But a test cant do to much harm right?
I will probably get censored so get a screenshot or something before that happens so you know some of the truth.
( NAME REDACTED )
Nuttex

Post by Nuttex »

ashley wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:50 pm But PTT has no cons eh?
The upside is not hearing people constantly breathing down their mics. That happens way too often in the channels that do allow voice activation, and mostly because people can't be arsed to calibrate their shit. That alone outweighs any cons PTT has.