The new no radio gameplay loop

darkbelg

The new no radio gameplay loop

Post by darkbelg »

So recently SOG came out and to make it more fun and authentic acre got installed. But to make it authentic something about everyone having radios needed to change. So now it is advised for mission maker to make missions where the squad lead and team leads.

The problem is that priority slotting up should now take one more step. First 'grenadiers'(teamleads) and then everybody else. If this step isn't done then the gameplay loop changes from fire team gameplay to squad team based gameplay.

This also makes it that people have to commit even more to stay through the whole scenario if they are teamlead and we know everybody loves taking leadership.

This concept also seems to be bleeding through to server 2. But there are not enough people playing to fill all these different roles. Especially for a warm up mission like stealth ops.

This is what i have noticed with the recent radio changes. What are your thoughts on the new way radio gameplay loop ?
darkbelg

Re: The new no radio gameplay loop

Post by darkbelg »

Another thing that i have been thinking of. Is the fact if on server 2 a team lead dies we need someone else to step up as. And we have enough problems with making people taking over squad lead if he dies or even goes unconscious.

Also playing SOG game night as CO and squad lead still remains a challenge if people drop their radios. You really have to call out people to be team lead. If the mission allows for it and gives everyone radios. You can do this. But, otherwise you are going to be stuck with what slot up decision the commander makes.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

When it comes to SOG/Vietnam missions, I'm personally in favour for no squad channel/net available. Disregarding the argument for realism/authenticity for the moment, yes lack of personal radios means everyone has to be more aware about maintaining competent communication within the squad but working without personal radios is not an impossible task and these constraints may even help weed out bad habits we've picked up from relying on the ease of a squad channel/net.

We have the tools and tactical know-how to still work effectively as a squad when limited to direct speech:
  • Liberally adjust direct speech volume control depending how far your voice needs to travel in each instance. At 100%, your voice can be heard within at least a 50m radius if not further.
  • Pass messages/orders along the line. If your voice can't reach everyone clearly, tell those nearest to relay your message across the formation.
  • Don't spread the formation out further than it needs to. Should have tight formation when in a jungle environment anyway.
  • When the squad needs to split formation (e.g. fireteam bounding overwatch), the SL needs to tell the fireteam (which the SL isn't going to be sticking with) what they need to do before you split up so there's no ambiguity. E.g. "Blue team covering fire. Red team, move with me to the 2 storey building NE. Blue team regroup after 30 seconds."
Doing these things may not come naturally yet but we just have to learn and practice through experience, provide constructive feedback when we do the wrong thing, and when needed rebuke those who repeatedly cause issues.

When it comes to Server#2 default radio assignment, I've spoken with 26k recently about the issue of players avoiding the TL/grenadier slots and I think he's in agreement with me that there needs to be a mechanism which guarantees at least 3 343 personal radios are available to each squad. 1 343 radio for the SL and 1 343 radio for each fireteam, regardless of who in each team carries it. There is merit in choosing not to give every grunt a personal radio in order to reduce radio comm clutter for the SL. As long as the SL can contact each of his fireteams and vice-versa, there shouldn't be any significant issues.

It's worth remembering that 26k's template can be edited by mission devs to change the radio assignment from the default. If a mission dev wants everyone to have a 343 radio, then they have the ability to make that so. If their choice on radio assignment causes ire during a mission, then feedback can be given in debrief and/or Discord.

Note:
Unfortunately hardly anyone uses this forum anymore. If you want this discussion to get noticed by more people, I'd suggest at least linking this thread in a message on Discord.
darkbelg

Post by darkbelg »

Eagle eye on discord:
Some people were talking about needing additional radios. I think we played that mission as though we did have radios which is why we had issues. Although adding additional radios would fix that, I don't think they are really needed. Squad leaders and commanders just need to make decisions with that in mind.
I think our general gameplay style often relies on everyone having radios, and we don't seem to be able to adjust it when we have none. Especially in terms of speed, I think we really need to dial it back to accommodate for how long it can take for information to trickle down to the fireteams that have to execute the plan, and we need to plan a few steps ahead, so that those fireteams don't have to wait for further instructions on how commands wants a city taken until after they've cleared the first building they stumbled into.
darkbelg

Post by darkbelg »

Cobra:
It comes down to Mission Command, having the trust to allow subordinate to complete a task on how they see fit rather than sitting on a CN radio and micro managing the ever living christ out of someone
“Mission Command enables speed, agility, and
decisiveness at the tactical level while providing
the necessary decision space at the higher level
for the up and out engagements to anticipate and
set conditions.”
Give orders with a timeline, have trust that things will be done when they need to be done, plan for actions on during situations (enemy reinforcements, casualties e.t.c.), the need for radios is lowered since the commander doesn't need to control the sections/squads as directly. Also missions should scale correctly for the numbers, like a platoon should not be trying to clear and hold Electro on its own.