Forums are better than Discord - Change my mind

Jim

Forums are better than Discord - Change my mind

Post by Jim »

I don't want to start a flame war and I've never like discord from the moment i first saw it a few years ago so I have some bias but ...

I went over to the ZC Discord as I saw on here that Eagle-Eye said that 26K had left a message for me over there.

It's like standing in a night club and trying to have a conversation with someone while standing in front of the speakers, a waitress trying to take your order and a bunch of folk shouting drinks orders at you.

I'm sure that the stream of consciousness format is great for shit posting and chit chat, but the editing channel is way less useful than here.

Am I missing something?

Wombat

Re: Forums are better than Discord - Change my mind

Post by Wombat »

The advantage of Discord is that it makes it easier to have "live" conversations with people and you are more likely to get a response quicker thanks to the default notification settings.
  • It's easier to see who is currently online. Discord even automatically marks users as "idle" if they are AFK.
  • You can use mention tags (@Jim) in messages to send a notification. Similar to "poking" on TS.
  • Discord app for phones
  • Desktop notifications even if Discord is currently closed
You can change the forum notification settings to receive email notifications when someone quotes you or sends a PM but most users stick with default.

The forums provide a better archive of information though where it's easier to search and read through posts.