Guide to Start Mission Making.

Terox

Re: Guide to Start Mission Making.

Post by Terox »

During the last admin meeting we also discussed mission makers, one of the elements we discussed were a set of guidelines. The following is very much work in progress and was an initial pass over the information. You may find this helpful....

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Co0 ... sp=sharing
kMaN

Post by kMaN »

Good start with this guide.
Hoping that I get out of the UAE soon and to a better time zone country so I can join more Zeus Gaming Nights! :D
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Took a few hours to work through Ben's tutorial. Was very interesting, I now have much more respect for mission makers (not that it was lacking previously).

How can a multiplayer mission be tested prior to being put on the actual servers?
What is the proper procedure for submitting a mission for upload to the servers?

Cheers,
Bryan
Spud

Post by Spud »

Give this a read : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VDK ... pt4eehch62
Should have everything in there
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Thanks Spud,

Follow up question, based on reading the provided material. I am interested in making some server 1 missions. Is there an accepted template for that server in the community similar to that of 2600k's work for server 2?

Cheers,
Bryan
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

You can use that guide provided but some of the modules you will not have access to due to them being provided by mods. However the core concepts of each chapter are the same.
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi Ben,

Yes, I went through the tutorial and made a mission in vanilla Arma, was a pleasant experience. I would like to try and make a proper mission, one of the pages on the central info reposit mentioned using 2600k's template, when i examined a number of PBOs from missions from the server, I see that there is a standard format. I would like to get the base/unaltered copy of this template and work from there.

Better to learn the right way from the beginning, saves time and energy, keeps things fun...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Bryan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:48 pm Hi Ben,

Yes, I went through the tutorial and made a mission in vanilla Arma, was a pleasant experience. I would like to try and make a proper mission, one of the pages on the central info reposit mentioned using 2600k's template, when i examined a number of PBOs from missions from the server, I see that there is a standard format. I would like to get the base/unaltered copy of this template and work from there.

Better to learn the right way from the beginning, saves time and energy, keeps things fun...
While 26k's framework is powerful and reliable, it can be daunting to jump into it if you have little mission making experience. Once cracked however, it is a great boon.

If you want to go ahead and experiment with 26k's framework, you should start by watching 26k's framework tutorial vids on his youtube channel. Be warned, some of the tutorial vids are a little dated (old 2D editor).

There was a "Template for Server#1" thread (similar to this server#2 template thread) but, unfortunately, it seems to have been lost. 26k's server#1 framework can be downloaded from here

If you need some help with 26k's framework, don't be afraid to PM me or catch me on TS if 26k himself isn't available.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Right,

I have been getting into 2600k's work and reverse engineering some past missions I recall as being fun. Its a nice challenge so far and framework is really complete. Another question:

Is there some kind of rough procedure or cookbook written (outside of 2600k's helpful videos) for using the framework?

I feel like the chance of missing something some little detail is very high and am looking for a way to avoid that via a checklist or something.

Thanks for the support
Bryan
Spud

Post by Spud »

I don't believe so, it is fairly difficult to explain the whole template over text and a forum as it can get quite complex. I've used it a fair bit, if you see me on teamspeak feel free to give me a poke.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

If this is your first mission I would advise against using the framework and do it by hand. This will give you a better idea of how things work in relation to each other and gives you backend knowledge on other subjects.

Ben's guide is very useful for this, you can adapt it for #1 by ignoring the TFAR and ACE features. Just my advice for leaving the framework for later once you've got the basics of mission making done.

For making a mission I use the following checklist , it might be shite but deal with it:
1) Have an idea of a mission and a location for it.
2) Build OPFOR (if coop) and scale BLUFOR against it (however if I am following an actual event I'll try to match them to how it was).
3) Triggers for objectives and modules for ace and tfar.
4) Do backend scripting (Respawn, 3rd Person, and briefing....)
5) Write briefing.
6) Leave the mission for a while, then return to it with a fresh set of eyes to spot major bugs and errors.
7) Test it on the test server.
8) Put on to mission spreadsheet
9) cry myself to sleep

I have scripts for respawn and thirdperson stuff e.t.c. so if you want them or need help implmenting them poke me.

Hope this kinda helps.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Bryan wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pmIs there some kind of rough procedure or cookbook written (outside of 2600k's helpful videos) for using the framework?
I should have mentioned this earlier but 26k's framework is actually his own custom framework based on and built up from the "F3 framework" which has a wiki found here. That wiki will help explain the basics of 26k's version but obviously won't explain everything since 26k has made his own additions to the framework.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Appreciate all the support
Bryan
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi everyone,

I finally have a mission which appears to be working, triggers, good guys, groups etc using 2600k's framework. So the next step is using a test server. I have a .pbo ready to go, I have read through and looked at the page: Zeus: Mission Dev Access. I even signed into the server through FileZilla.

Bottom Line, Im afraid to break it or mess something up.

Recommendations? The instructions on the page are vague for someone unfamiliar with using servers.

Thanks, Bryan
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

Hey Bryan,

no stress, the restricted access you have to the test server doesnt really allow you to fundamentally break anything. Yea you could technically render the test server inoperable, but that can always be easily fixed. Aside from that, all you have to do is to upload your mission to the "mpmissions" folder on the test server. As soon as the mission is there in .pbo format, it should show up ingame when you refresh the #missions list. Tip: For testing its recommended you always give a new upload of the mission a different name/version number, otherwise you will have 10+ missions showing in the list ingame with the same name and you wont know which one is the latest. Keep in mind that removing files from the "mpmissions" folder is only possible when the server is turned off, adding files is always possible.
After your mission has been tested as per the guide for the ususal suspects (gear, locality stuff, triggers, JIP - best to test all these with atleast another player present) you can upload the final version to the test server in the correct naming standard (as per guide) and have somebody (developers, admins, technicians...) enter your mission in the mission spreadsheet, so an admin can then move it over before the next game night or even move it immediately if you find sbdy that can do that for you.

As always the fastest assistance can be given directly on TS by somebody with a minute to spare.