Guide to Start Mission Making.

[Ben]

Guide to Start Mission Making.

Post by [Ben] »

So there are at least a handful of people out there that want to get into mission making but don't know where to start or have a bunch of fears about code and all that jazz. So i wrote some documentation for making a very simple mission from start to finish. Now this example is using content for the Number 2 server, however most of the principles are applicable to the Number 1 server.

Now i warn you, that if you can't read or you are in some way allergic to reading and actually processing information then i cannot help you. This is meant to aid people in getting started making balanced and enjoyable missions that are of a standard that would be accepted onto the server for a game night. That being said not everyone is cut out to be a mission maker it takes, a lot of time and patience and common sense. So if you think you are going to use this to make a mission to put an infantry platoon up against a bunch of tanks and helicopters, because you think it will be funny, you are mistaken. They will end up being removed from the server if they even make it there, and the likely hood of you being allowed to continue to make missions is slim.

This guide is probably not perfect, and may have missed or overlooked one or two things, so if whilst working through it you find something fundamentally missing, then post in here and i will see about correcting it. I will reiterate that this is a guide to the "My first mission" style of mission, if there is demand smaller more focused documentation on topics may be written in the future. There is also possible future plans for a companion thread to this for developers to contribute code snippets, to share with other devs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M4E ... sp=sharing

Update 03/04/2017 : Re wrote portions of the additional scripts section to better explain respawn and JIP options. Added appendices for JIP teleport and forcing 1st/3rd person.

Update 19/11/2017 : Updated the "Other Important Modules" section of the "Modules" chapter to explain basic ACRE Setup. Updated "playerLoadout.sqf" and "onPlayerKilled.sqf" sections of "External Scripts" chapter to reflect ACRE changes. Redid some of the screenshots that were too blurry to read properly.

Update 24/03/2018 : Updated the ACE Medical section (P24) to explain the migration from ACE Settings to CBA Settings framework and how to access ACE settings now that the modules don't exist.

Enjoy.
Last edited by [Ben] on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StRiKeR

Re: Guide to Start Mission Making.

Post by StRiKeR »

This is it right here people! The best opportunity to get started. Use it, learn from it, contribute to it here. Let's build a knowledge base that can be a valuable ressource.

Thank you Ben for setting this up.
Backup

Post by Backup »

StRiKeR wrote:Thank you Ben for setting this up.
+1. Thanks ben!

Post by 2600K »

Sweet guide! Been meaning to get around to making some videos covering the details of the framework sometime, for now this guide covers a lot of the basics nicely.

The only suggestion I can make is to include more links to the external resources (BI Wiki, Notepad++ download, SQF highlighter etc).
Tom

Post by Tom »

Make this man a throne cause this is legendary!
Good work Ben and who ever contributed to this.
Bank

Post by Bank »

Thanks so much for this! Ive been keen to rework some of my personal missions I've made over the years and offer them to the Zeus community, but have been a bit intimidated with all the scripting stuff, and this looks like its going to really help.
Kaidyn

Post by Kaidyn »

A lot of praise coming in but seriously, round of applause everyone. Great job, Ben. Really appreciate it!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Did not read (yet?) but big applause for writing walls of text for our sake.
Nuttex

Post by Nuttex »

Excellent work, Ben.
Rodi

Post by Rodi »

Thank you very much.
Should really help newbs like me to get things done!
Martin

Post by Martin »

So I read it now, some real good stuff!
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Great work.

I've had a mission I've wanted to make for ages but lacked the technical knowledge to create it. This will help a great deal.

Many thanks.
kMaN

Post by kMaN »

Awesome read and thank you for taking the time to write it and to the proof readers for their efforts. I have been teaching myself how to make missions, mainly YouTube videos, trial & error, forums, etc. I wish I had started with this guide in the first place. I would have shaved three weeks off of what I've learnt up until now. PLUS, I learned some things I hadn't already discovered. :)
Hoping that I get out of the UAE soon and to a better time zone country so I can join more Zeus Gaming Nights! :D
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

So i have re rewritten some sections of this to address respawn and JIP issues, and added some appendices for some useful scripts that we find in most of the missions we find on the server.

See the the "External Scripts" section for updates to the description.ext and instructions on additional scripts for handling no respawn and keeping player slots from being deleted.
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.
kMaN

Post by kMaN »

That's awesome! I'll check those out ASAP. Thanks for the help a few months ago too.
Hoping that I get out of the UAE soon and to a better time zone country so I can join more Zeus Gaming Nights! :D