Firing for Effect API

[Ben]

Firing for Effect API

Post by [Ben] »

Greetings Mission makers, here i will be posting a wonderful link to the manual for the Firing for Effect mod, which enhances AI controlled Artillery.

The PDF found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/avlg8po6eg8sv ... 4.pdf?dl=0 contains all the scripting commands for the mod. By default the mod uses all of the addon artillery batteries perfectly well, except for the russian D30, so you shouldn't have to use the last commands in there to add custom ones.

Now i would like to list some recommendations based on what i found during my testing of the mod.

For the sake of realism and gameplay, i think it is a good idea to have the "RydFFE_OnePhase" set to true, this enables the use of spotting rounds as appose to the default fire for effect method, currently if you just place the module down, when the first mission is called in the battery usually fires 6 rounds on the target, this can be devastating if the observer is in a hidden place with constant line of sight meaning that the fire mission will have a high accuracy. The spotting round setting, will fire spotting rounds and then adjustments which makes for a more realistic and slightly more forgiving experiance i think.

Similarly the "RydFFE_Interval" will need to be set to something appropriate, this controls the minimum wait time between salvos, so that 3 missions can't be called in and executed in the space of 30 seconds.

Other considerations is the idea of limiting what kind of units can act as observers, the safe radius around friendlies, there is built in functionality for fire missions to be denied if a friendly unit to the requester is in too close to the target. There are several other tweakable parameters in there but i feel these are the more important considerations i wanted to highlight.

Looking forward to seeing how effective this mod is in future missions.

Regards
-Ben
Last edited by ashley on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Re: Firing for Effect API

Post by Tom »

Does this also work for friendly AI? I'm thinking about combined arms where we support a mechanised assault on a position and let the AI do the arty for example?

Would you get a message or hint when friendly AI has lobbed over some rounds?
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

Tom wrote:Does this also work for friendly AI? I'm thinking about combined arms where we support a mechanised assault on a position and let the AI do the arty for example?

Would you get a message or hint when friendly AI has lobbed over some rounds?
It does work with friendly AI, however there is no warning as to the missions being fired, you as a player just have to keep line of sight on the target for a minute or so, and the battery just fires. If the arty is on the players side, it would probably be best if a specific unit/units can call in fire missions rather than everyone, and i believe that there is an option to set the battery fire mode to manual, where certain conditions have to be met before the battery fires, in theory this could be hooked up to an add action, that allows the battery to only fire when the action is pressed.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ben,

To change the params of the addon, I understand from the PDF that we do this from the INIT.SQF ?
What would a command look like then? Is it just something like this:

RydFFE_OnePhase = false;
RydFFE_Interval = 30;

In a random spot in the init?
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

As far as i know, yes commands should just go somewhere in the init.sqf