BMP Turret "Bug"

Any Topics related to the No.2 Server
[Ben]

BMP Turret "Bug"

Post by [Ben] »

Okay, so recently we have encountered what we assumed was a bug where the turret of BMP's gets stuck pointing up in the air, and having encountered it in multiple missions i have looked into it. Upon further investigation this is actually a really cool feature from RHS that was not very well publicized.

What is actually happening is a scripted solution for "Commander Turret Overwrite". I.E a system where the commander can force the turret of the vehicle to orient at what the commanders optic is looking at. This is a thing that tanks have in real life.

Due to it being a scripted solution and not a native engine feature it has its limitations and caveats though one of which we have encountered. The BMP-2 which we have accidentally used this on, has a fixed commander turret. However if you rotate the mouse around as the commander while looking through the optic, the game still thinks that you are turning around, and so the players "cursor" is pointing up in the air and they have hit the overwrite key (which is your "Freelook"key so ALT for most) and it has locked the gun to looking up in the sky. In this particular vehicle you can tell where the commander is looking by using the compass overlay on the left hand side of the screen when you are in the vehicle. Also to release the commanders overwrite hiting the freelook button again seems to unlock it.

At the moment i can only see this feature present on Russian vehicles. It does not work when you are turned out, if you look at another target and press the overwrite key it will refocus the turret to that location, i believe the lock can only be released when pressing the key again after not moving your camera.

Overall very cool feature and not a bug at all.
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.
StRiKeR

Re: BMP Turret "Bug"

Post by StRiKeR »

That is really cool and effectively the Hunter-Killer system of modern MBTs that I wanted BIS to add in the Tanks DLC.
If it functions reliably this is can be another great feature that creates crew ressource management challenges and decreases reaction times of a tank crew.

Could be useful to publish what the overwrite key is by default.
Wombat

Re: BMP Turret "Bug"

Post by Wombat »

Nice. I'm hoping we have the option to change the keybinding for this feature. Is this system authentic to Russian cold war era AFVs though?