Exploded Chopper Incident 03/01 Game Night

Any Topics related to the No.2 Server
Cobra.

Re: Exploded Chopper Incident 03/01 Game Night

Post by Cobra. »

I can look into making a training mission.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cobra. wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm I can look into making a training mission.
That would be great. If you do decide to go ahead, I might throw some ideas at you in case some of them might stick. I think the key would be making the scenario both fun and adaptable. An environment where crashing and dying a lot is actually encouraged with immediate respawn so players can test their limits and learn from their mistakes without penalty.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

Yeah just PM me any ideas you have, thanks.
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

ashley

Post by ashley »

Jim wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm What would a mid week training mission need?
Manpower
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ashley wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 pm
Jim wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm What would a mid week training mission need?
Manpower
I don't think a "training mission" in the same style as the FMT and advanced training sessions will work since we have learnt through experience that they are a huge hassle to organise and many players in the community aren't interested to committing time to completing them for various reasons.

As mentioned before, it would perhaps be best to create a playground or workshop where even a single player by himself can easily load the scenario up and quickly start flying and shooting. There could be some default tasks and objectives placed on the map for players to practice on right away but, with ZGM access available for everyone, players have the freedom to spawn in their own targets or create new tasks and objectives for others to practice on.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

Working on it now as a sandbox style practice island thingy.

Smolof

Post by Smolof »

I actually thought about doing one as well, and have a script for instant respawn and helichange ready from another mission. So hit me up boi and we can put it together.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Found this Instructor action menu to turn off Tail Rotor, Main Engine etc

Source and explaination: http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=29728
Code https://github.com/drredfox/academia_ST ... a_aire.sqf
lucius

Post by lucius »

First off props to Cobra for getting stuck in!

Second I would agree with the majority that whilst the blacklist has a real value it should be more of a last resort which (like most bans) involves a specific and conscious warning over prior incidents and ideally a one-on-one talk from some of our many experienced pilots in which specific mechanical or conceptual errors are addressed.

All of this seems positive and productive. I already have some FAC/JTAC notes which were combined/drawn from the pilots manual developed by a number of community members already.

I believe that project was never finalised but I am very happy to offer the work I have and would suggest that we merge these various items into a single, fairly basic, handbook.

Am i correct in thinking that the flight manual was in the hands of Striker and Dimitry?
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

lucius wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:58 pm Am i correct in thinking that the flight manual was in the hands of Striker and Dimitry?
The only connection I had with any sort of guide about that topic was a pitch of a simplified 9-line for usage in Arma that cuts all the irrelevant stuff and focuses on whats relevant for the game.

I don't think however that the first priority should be yet another guide/session and corresponding googledoc. Those seem to be seldom motivating enough for players to find intrinsic motivation for and there are many of those on the webs already in better quality. I'd much more lean to a simple workshop environment were peepz can get easy hands on challenging environments to hone their skills without any pressure on a regular basis. They will learn a lot by trial and error alone that way.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I've made a Server 1 Helicopter Sandbox Framework. co 12 Tutorial Come Fly With Me b02.Altis.pbo - 6 slots Students and 6 slots Instructors. ZGM for instructors, a few 'seminars' and playgrounds working on NOE and various types of LZ. Sling Loading with various cargoes, helis, and drop zones. A couple of shooting alleys and a space to practice mechanical failure. Used Dsylexci's Art of Flight videos as a rough syllabus though I'm sure the mission could be improved by someone who can fly proficiently!

Give it a whirl and let me know if it needs more structure or bits removing for apostasy!
Eagle-Eye

Post by Eagle-Eye »

Sounds good. Could we download it somewhere for single player testing and feedback?
Jim

Post by Jim »

E-E the mission is here if you want a look - just move it to your MPMissionsCache folder

https://drive.google.com/file/d/120O_Q4 ... sp=sharing

Edit: Updated link to v02.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1261283912

Edit: Added Steamworkshop link

OBJECTIVES
To provide a crash course! sandbox environment for community members to become confident and skilled helicopter pilots. The mission is intended to give a player who is familiar with the controls a playground to practice in and have skilled pilots share some tips and tricks.

SPECIAL TASKS
We begin at the AAC Airfield. Greet each other and its recommended that the Gold Instructor take the reigns here by assigning instructors to students, allocating radio channels to the various groups and groups to tasks. Some tasks will have added learning value from having multiple pilots in the AO.

Fast travel is used to get from seminar to seminar. Access it from the action menu and left-click on the map. Recommend you aim for the flag icons.

All instructor slots have Zeus Game Master enabled. Use it to follow your students when there's no room in the helis, perhaps set up hostile ai on certain activities, deploy smoke and IR grenades to mark LZs or spawn in particular helicopters that a students wants hours in. Use your powers to recreate a particular scenario that you have come across in game nights. Recommend that changes weather or time are agreed by all instructors and give students ample warning.

Students should have an understanding about contour lines, map symbols and be able to interpret whats on paper and turn it into a mental image of the scene in order to create a flight plan. - IE avoid obstacles such as overhead cables, rocks, trees, radio mast and wind turbines and use the terrain to mask their travel.

CH View Distance script will help you over come the server locked view distance. Whacking everything up to 12km may have an impact on the server so be sensible. If using the Z-Client I believe the action menu does not work but the GUI can be accessed on foot from the ESC menu. ESC, Controls, Configure Addons, CH View Distance and the keyboard short cut may be Ctrl Slash or Ctrl Hashtag.

When you inevitably crash and die you will be presented with the spectator screen. Press your team switch key, default Uniform u and you should be teleported back to the AAC airfield. If not give it a moment them try different combinations of u, Esc, Respawn, u.

If playing in SP take Slot 1 Gold Instructor.

This is a work in progress and anyone with feedback or ideas for ways to improve tasks or new seminars please do say it out loud either here or on the forums.

CANYON RUN
The Canyon Run provides a NOE flight path combined with a series of Animal themed LZs. Make a timed run through in different choppers or drop off and pick up imaginary infantry or real infantry that your ZGM provides on the way at specified or random LZs.
LZ Aardvark - Narrow space - choose the gully, bridge or road: hard to easy.
LZ Bear - Court Yard, buildings close by. Flat ground.
LZ Chinchilla - Hill side. Front skids or Huron tail ramp only. Hover only no full landing.
LZ Drake - Small LZ, Flat Ground, building and trees, close to hill.
LZ Emu - Spacious flat, small buildings, ideal for multiple helos to put down at once. Practice leaving space for others.
LZ Ferret - Very narrow clearing along road.
LZ Goose - Pinnacle Landing.

SLING LOADING
This is broken into a few parts. A very simple game of move boxes from the field into the stadium. If this is too easy then take some or all of these objects in Kavala and deliver them to the following DZs.
DZ Argentina - Massive - you could park 8 Hurons in there.
DZ Brazil - Court yard enclosed on all sides.
DZ Columbia - A pinnacle atop the castle fortifications.
DZ Democratic Republic of Congo - a water drop zone in the small boat harbour.
DZ Ecuador - Hospital roof landing pad.

If the field pick ups are too easy, there are pick ups available in Kavala.
PU Ash - weapons crate, buildings close by. Possible to land on road in small helicopter.
PU Larch - Hunter Unarmed. On road, builings and hill on two sides.
PU Oak - Strider in water.
PU Pine - Vehicle ammo box in canal. trees very close.
PU Sycamore - Huron Container boxed in on three sides by buildings. Huron does land on open side.
PU Willow - Weapons crate danger close to trees.

Some of these may not be possible due to weather, helicopter size, or pilot skill. Instructors should help Students realise where they failing or identify a task that is actually impossible - something that can happen on game nights and needs to be communicated up the ranks.

KESTLE RUN 2035
Simple NOE flight south and west to deliver weapons crates to a tight LZ. If multiple students on the mission why not fly in formation and each pick a different DZ or LZ Uniform to Zulu. Remember there will be a queue behind you and space is very tight.

ATTACK HELICOPTERS
Here either pair up two students with an instructor watching or jump an instructor into the gunner seat or vice versa. The Aim here is to teach semi realistic tactics of spotting targets on radar and using hill cover to pop up, attack, pop down, move and repeat.

Resupply is provided, targets however must be supplied by a ZGM. This is to keep the map safe for other users.

LIGHT ATTACK HELICOPTERS
The domes have been pulled down and replaced with resupply and an assortment of troop transport and light attack craft. There's a small CSAT convoy to the West patrolling along the road and South of Frini are 10 or so UPS Lite powered CSAT patrols to practice gun and rocket runs on. These chaps won't respawn and so will need to be replenished by a ZGM.

MECHANICAL FAILURE
Finally to the East of the island we have helicopters set-up to fail.

Students should pick or be assigned an LZ out towards the NE and plan a flight path, applying what they have learnt about terrain and dangers. Once their flight path is decided, radio comms with other air users to make sure the pattern is clear and lift. The instructor, while sitting ion the co-pilot's seat should use the action menu to enable instructor mode and then pick a Tail or Main rotor failure. The student must attempt a recovery if possible or attempt an emergency landing. Bonus points for remembering to radio command with a MAYDAY or PANPAN.

CREDITS
Created by Jim Using 2600K's fork of the F3 Framework. Mechanical Failure script by Zriel88. Further Credits in Framework files.

Recommended reading/viewing:
{LINK REMOVED} Dslyecxi's Art of Flight (Arma 3) Playlist.

A custom-made mission for ArmA 3 and Zeus Community
http://zeus-community.net/
Last edited by Jim on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim

Post by Jim »

@Cobra - I translated the actions from Spanish and I've added Engine Failure to the mix if you want it.

Code: Select all

fnc_aca_actions = {
private ["_vehicle","_actionid","_ids"];
_vehicle = _this select 0;
_actionid = _this select 1;
_ids = [];

_ids set [0,_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D69CD5"">" + "Light Damage Anti-torque Rotor" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 1] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"]];
_ids set [1,_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D69CD5"">" + "Total Failure Anti-torque Rotor" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 2] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"]];
_ids set [2,_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D69CD5"">" + "Total Failure Main Rotor" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 3] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"]];
_ids set [3,_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D69CD5"">" + "Total Failure Engine" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 4] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"]];
_ids set [4,_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D69CD5"">" + "Deactivate Damage" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 5] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"]];
_ids set [5,_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D69CD5"">" + "Activate Damage" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 6] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"]];
_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D13DCF"">" + "Deactivate Instructor Mode" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, 7] spawn fnc_aca_aire", [], 3, false, true, "", "(player in _target)"];

_vehicle removeAction _actionid;

};

fnc_aca_aire = {
private ["_vehicle","_option"];
_vehicle = _this select 0;
_option = _this select 1;

switch (_option) do	{
		case 1: {_vehicle setHitPointDamage ["HitVRotor",0.5];}; 							// Half damage tail rotor
		case 2: {_vehicle setHitPointDamage ["HitVRotor",1];}; 							// Full damage tail rotor
		case 3: {_vehicle setHitPointDamage ["HitHRotor",1];}; 							// Full damage main rotor
		case 4: {_vehicle setHitPointDamage ["HitEngine",1],["HitEngine2",1],["HitEngine3",1];}; 	// Full damage engines
		case 5: {_vehicle allowdamage false;};										// Deactivate damage 
		case 6: {_vehicle allowdamage true;};										// Activate damage
		//Disable instructor
		case 7: {removeAllActions _vehicle ;
				_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#FF0000"">" + "Delete Vehicle" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0] spawn fnc_delete", [], 3, false, true, "", "{alive _x} count crew _target == 0"];
				_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#FFFF00"">" + "Repair/Rearm/Refuel" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0] spawn fnc_repair", [], 3, false, true, "", "(driver _target) == player || gunner _target == player"];
				_vehicle addAction [("<t color=""#D13DCF"">" + "Activate Instructor Mode" + "</t>"), "[_this select 0, _this select 2] spawn fnc_aca_actions", [], 3, false, true, "", "player in _target"];
				};
	};
};
I just need to figure out how to keep the init in a respawning vehicle...
Swede

Post by Swede »

The missions made by Rob J are great for training with helicopters and fixed wings in singleplayer, gives you all sorts of objectives to train for (supply runs, SAR, troop transport, etc etc) and you get a few chances to get used to landing with damaged helicopter (due to mechanical issues script and enemy fire).

https://steamcommunity.com/id/robj2210/ ... pid=107410

Might be easier to get people motivated when they can train at their own convenience while doing fun missions. Having said that, doing a combined training/sandbox where you get to practice flying with other players seems like a good idea too.

I have'nt read the whole thread so hopefully i'm sort of ontrack about what were talking about.