NVG ISSUE

Anything related to Addons on the No.2 Server. Please contact Ben or Rory for more information on Addons.
honeymoon

NVG ISSUE

Post by honeymoon »

Recent update sucks !! cant see a damn thing now using NVG any of them.
[Ben]

Re: NVG ISSUE

Post by [Ben] »

Have you tried opening your eyes? :P
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.
Kickboxing_Bnana

Post by Kickboxing_Bnana »

new shactac nvgs are now in ace so get used to it,
"I am BnanaMan. Ever alert for the call to action!"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Here's a video which explains the new changes in detail

I had no idea the ACE devs have finally include ShackTac's enhanced night vision mod into ACE3 but I'm excited to try them out in the new year. It will take some getting used to for the players but I think the biggest challenge will be on the mission developers to adapt their night ops missions so that the ambient light conditions and the enemy AI skill levels are balanced for the new update.

I'm not sure on the details yet and it's still very early days so take my next comment with a grain of salt. We may need to consider disabling this new ACE NVG enhancement on the server by default and then allow mission devs to enable the ACE enhanced NVGs for their missions as they see fit. The reason being is that the new NVGs could "break" many of the old missions we have due to an imbalance with AI vs player visibility with NVGs or simply the ambient light conditions being too unforgiving.

I am more in favour of using this new NVG enhancement changes for as many missions as possible however. We shall wait and see.
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

In a more serious response, it might need some tweaking. I have heard a lot of complaints about it on the server at the moment, that don't seem consistent with at least my own experiences in the editor. I have not yet used it on the server so i can't tell if there is a discrepancy between the server and the my client yet. Though ace changed how settings are saved so things might take a bit of tweaking.
Eagle-Eye

Post by Eagle-Eye »

Agree that it might need tweaking.

What I found very weird is that as a pilot, I could see a lot better without than with NVG. Moonlit sky, no clouds, without NVG, I could distinctly make out terrain features 2-3km away, and even see some minor details on ground within 1km. When I goggled up, I had trouble seeing the contours 1km away and had no detail until I'm within 50-100m or so... :?
Pretty nasty stuff, even when you're flying very slow speed. I can't imagine what it must be like in anything other than ideal weather. (then again, ArmA being ArmA, maybe it's better :roll: )

I also noticed that it automatically blurs everything when you're scoped. I understand it's more realistic, because focal length is set to a further distance (and you probably couldn't even properly scope with NVG on anyway, hence laserpoint), but with a 1x aimpoint, it should still give you a clear view through the scope AFAIK?
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

Eagle-Eye wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:14 pm Agree that it might need tweaking.

What I found very weird is that as a pilot, I could see a lot better without than with NVG. Moonlit sky, no clouds, without NVG, I could distinctly make out terrain features 2-3km away, and even see some minor details on ground within 1km. When I goggled up, I had trouble seeing the contours 1km away and had no detail until I'm within 50-100m or so... :?
Pretty nasty stuff, even when you're flying very slow speed. I can't imagine what it must be like in anything other than ideal weather. (then again, ArmA being ArmA, maybe it's better :roll: )
My understanding of it from the shacktac video that showed it off ages ago, is that it is supposed to be used when there is no light, moonlit nights obviously aren't ideal, but in arma a full moon with less than 40% overcast is perfectly fine visibility wise for anyone running on default brightness and gamma settings which this was made for. When things are actually dark, no moon and stormy weather you can see better with NV than you can without for sure. It's certainly less visibility than the BIS or previous ACE NVG, but i don't think it's unplayable as many people are complaining it to be.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

It will take some time getting used to it. We shouldn't make any rash conclusions or decisions right off the bat. At the moment, I'm really liking this more realistic representation of how NVGs work.

However, as I mentioned before, my biggest concern is how easily mission developers can adapt their night op missions to compensate for these new changes to how effective NVGs are in different ambient light conditions. Enemy AI who are equipped with NVGs won't automatically be hindered by these changes in the same way players are so mission developers will likely have to reduce AI skill levels to compensate.
Cobra.

Post by Cobra. »

Aw, my PC breaks just as the coolest new ACE feature arrives.

How does the Enhanced Night Vision effect the thermal goggles with the ENVGs?
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey @Cobra! Please don't use bad words!
[3:33 PM] BOTMEE6: Hey, sorry about this but... you got banned from Zeus by MEE6#4876 for 'Too many infractions..'

please do not swear on my christian youth server.