VCOM Testing

Anything related to Addons on the No.2 Server. Please contact Ben or Rory for more information on Addons.
[Ben]

VCOM Testing

Post by [Ben] »

I will be looking to test the effectiveness of the VCOM AI mod. There will be two missions, one on a fairly performance consistent map like Altis or Chernarus and another on a more demanding map. More info about VCOM can be found here: https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topi ... -overhaul/

I will also be using this opportunity to retest the rather demanding Taunus Map, given that we now have modules that hide objects and can increase performance.

Testing will be done on the No.4 with standard No.2 Mods plus VCOM and Taunus. Which can be found here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topi ... ersion-11/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqxystol7g0x0 ... D.zip?dl=0

To install VCOM put the @VCOM folder in your Arma 3 directory. Then go into the Userconfig folder in the download and take the "VCOM_AI" folder and place it in your userconfig folder in your Arma 3 directry. Then add @VCOM to your shortcut.

Provisionally looking to do this on the 24th of November with a FUP time of 7pm GMT. The more people can attend the more effective the stress test should be.

A fair warning, if you will be looking for a gamenight level of experience it is not likely to happen, there may be bugs and periods of waiting for things to reboot or fixed on the fly, as is the nature with testing new things.

Regards,
Ben.
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.
LtBlack-Fire

Re: VCOM Testing

Post by LtBlack-Fire »

According from what i have tested: Solo, In Editor Tests. using (RHS, ACE, ACRE)

1- AI are every responsive to orders, the higher the group skill, the faster they response.

2- AI Poss a threat in combat specially in urban areas, they are leather and should not be underestimated.

3- AI Convoy are effective and its easy to make the convoy move from A->B, but it requires all vehicles to be in the same group, the more vehicles, the less effective the convoy is.

4- AI Loves to use Nearby vehicles (enemy, friendly or civ) to move from point A-->B if the distance is larger than 800~.. (Locked and Unlocked) don't matter.

5- Combined arms combat is ... Average, The AI in Vehicles some times fails to realize there are Infantry AI around and some times run them over in the heat of battle.

6- There was no difference between group with radio and group with no radio during a fire fight.

7- The AI will send forces to investigate Unknown fire from directions, ether the squad leader will send couple of men from his group, or will request closer squad to move in instead... *Had Terrible making this works.

8- Air support, Armor warfare is pretty sick, They do work as a team.. now the skill level matters more than ever, the higher, the better they coordinate.

9- Now its possible that AI if they have access to Tripod and Tube of most RHS static weapons, upon combat they will deploy the weapon and start engaging, and after the contact is out, a timer will run with the end result of dismounting the weapon and moving along :)

-= The most annoying thing is the fact AI uses Vehicles for long distances, some times a BMD-2 crew will jump out from their vehicle and get in a UAZ to move from point A--800M-->B... nice.

**These result might be subject to Bias, its recommended to test all of them out again :) But from my investigation i think its a very good mode, Please if you found bugs, report it to the Dev asap so he can fix it, he is active and does reply: https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topi ... ul/?page=6

ThankYou
-Lt.BlackFire
Always Have A Zeus Mission...

Post by 2600K »

Tried a mission on #2 with the script version of this a month or two back.

At the time it was useless with AI movement being far below that of UPS/DAC (the AI didn't attempt to flank at all and all waypoints were placed directly on the last source of contact, with all units within a set radius simply receiving orders to move there).

While I see that it looks like many of the bugs have been fixed now, the script appears by default to affect all units, causing those spawned in defensive positions/good cover to abandon their posts and join the fight. I much prefer having a script work the other way around like UPS/DAC where units are NOT included by default.

With all the bugs I didn't check if there was an easy solution to turn this off (instead of spamming a variable for units) and didn't look at VCOM again.
[Ben]

Post by [Ben] »

There is a lengthy userconfig file that i have yet to look at properly with the mod version at least. I imagine most things will be tweakable in there.
You couldn't script your way out of a cardboard box.