British Armed Forces on server #2

Anything related to Addons on the No.2 Server. Please contact Ben or Rory for more information on Addons.
Stacey

British Armed Forces on server #2

Post by Stacey »

BRITISH ARMED FORCES GEAR..{BAF}

Over the recent months on server #2 i have heard a lot of you lads ask about why we do not use BAF gear ? Also some have said would it be possible to get that gear put back onto your server. So with that in mind i did some asking about.

I haven't spoke to everyone so with that in mind i thought i would post this up.
So got anything to say about it get it put down on here.

Cheers lads.
Tom

Re: British Armed Forces on server #2

Post by Tom »

I'm guessing you talked with Ben and Dmitri ?
We only just got rid of that buggy mess...
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

Tom wrote:I'm guessing you talked with Ben and Dmitri ?
We only just got rid of that buggy mess...

No i haven't spoke to Dimitri But thanks for letting me know he might be interested.
Did speak to Ben and he pointed out that the gear was buggy and messy.

Not sure if you know this but there are more up to date mods out there. So i would recommend we use them instead.
Dmitry Yuri

Post by Dmitry Yuri »

We have an addon suggestion thread already setup for requesting addons here
http://zeus-community.net/a3forums/view ... 2896#p2896

Ben and Rory are the 2 people in charge of changes to our addon pack.

As for the British stuff, there are currently 2 main mods that add british equipment into ArmA3.
(There are other ones like STALKERGB's British Infantry, DG British Aircraft Mod, etc. They aren't that good.)

3rd Commando Brigade's BAF Equipment
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/18277 ... equipment/

Robj's British Armed Forces All in one.
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/17764 ... n-one-mod/

We have only somewhat recently removed the 3CB BAF stuff. This was because of a few reasons, some of the biggest ones being that the model and texture quality of the uniforms, vests, backpacks, weapons and vehicles was absolutely awful. We very rarely had any missions using the equipment after the initial hype of adding it had died down, even the original people who were 'campaigning' to get it added were sort of saying it's not really that good. The Weapons had a bug with ACE that would make everyone go deff even if they had earplugs in (I think that's fixed now but still.). And finally they obfuscated* their PBO's which is really annoying.

After the removal of 3CB BAF we had a look at Robj's mod. As with 3CB BAF there is a lot of useless stuff in there, like the c17, F35 and another apache. Stuff we either already have in much better quality with RHS or that we really don't need, and are mostly poor ArmA2 ports anyway.
But. The uniforms don't look that bad, and the L85 used in the pack is from this mod
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/177384-l85a2-v3/
Which is pretty decent. Although it does need some tweaking to add things like joint rails so we can use all the attachments we have and not just vanilla ones.

So in conclusion.
The plan originally was to remove 3CB BAF.
Which we did.
Then we were going to look for potential replacements and see if it was worth our time to get them.
We found Robj's mod.
The outcome of our testing with this mod was that we should modify this mod to take all the useless stuff out, keep the uniform textures and the L85 and bin almost everything else.

This last part never happened, mostly because I think I was working on the Danish and Takiban units for our faction pack.
But I do agree that it would be nice to have some British gear on the server. I've been meaning to update the faction pack since the most recent RHS update but just haven't got around to it. I'll push the pack up a few lines on my todo list and look at adding some decent British equipment to it.

- A quick note about adding addons.
Currently our addon pack is pushing 22GB. The vanilla base game including DLC's is just over 18GB (The expansion will add between 7-8 GB but that doesn't prove my point). Whenever we look at adding new things we not only look at how useful is this going to be but also compare that to its size. We could very easily have a 40GB+ addon pack with everything under the sun in it. But asking people to download our current addon pack is already a bit much. And much of the stuff in that pack would be half broken, full of script errors, poor quality and probably not get used. Personally I would like to see the BW mod added https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/161492-bwmod/. Very good quality assets, was updated less than a week ago, the guy who updates it also works on ACE3. But it's another 911MB. If we were going to add that we would probably be looking to remove an equal amount of stuff from our pack to try and balance it out.

* If you obviscate a .pbo(mod file) it means nobody else can open it to have a look inside. 3CB BAF is the only mod I have come across that does this, If anyone wants to open up RHS or ALiVE or anything else to have a look how they did something you can. But the 3rd Commando Brigade seem to be a bit paranoid.
Milton

Post by Milton »

They are a lot of british milsims out there that don't have issues with their kits like the 4th infantry brigade. Their kit has no issues and have more brit stuff then our old pack like foxhounds.

I suggest you have a look at this video and look at their kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd3x0Cyx0qk

http://www.4thinfantrybrigade.co.uk/portal.php
StRiKeR

Post by StRiKeR »

Boys, we had the BAF in our pack for a long time because just like now people wanted them in. Interestingly enough though they were not used very often (if at all) in the missions on the server. That is because the people who wanted that addon weren't the ones who were primarily making missions. For the people who manage the contents of the repo it is a priority consideration if an addon does function well in our current pack (which in this case it would) and if it will actually be used (which it wasn't). We already have a pretty large pack because our core addons are huge. As a consequence we cannot just add stuff on the basis of 'nice to have' unless it is really light in file size and serves a purpose, which is why we were planning on a "light" integration of some stuff in our faction pack. So unless the people who suddenly want BAF back can guarantee an ample supply of missions using that pack i don't see this having any future.

Besides, if everyone could get "their" faction pack I could just ask for the implementation of the lovely BWMod here aswell, right? I know for a fact that quite a few people would enjoy that aswell. I am not doing that however because I know it would only solve a niche purpose and would not see broad usage in mission making. If everyone had their way like that we would be sporting another useless 6 GB of faction packs from all over the world that would never be used.

Lastly, please use Addon suggestions thread. The forums are enough of a lawless, unmoderated puddle of filth already.
Milton

Post by Milton »

People keep saying that we rarely used the brit packs but we did everytime I made a zeus mission people kept saying "Ah its always with you and the fuckin brits use something else" it's not just me theres a lot of people who wanted to play as brits mainly because it is our home country's army and we love the uniforms and the other things in the packs like the challenger II.

Monty and I said when we get them back we will make loads of missions like we were going to do before it got taken out.

All we use in this server is just amercian gear or rarely russian gear because we always do amercia vs russia and it's getting quite boring.

We do have shit that we dont use like the dainish kit.
HeavenHammer

Post by HeavenHammer »

Milton wrote:People keep saying that we rarely used the brit packs but we did everytime I made a zeus mission people kept saying "Ah its always with you and the fuckin brits use something else" it's not just me theres a lot of people who wanted to play as brits mainly because it is our home country's army and we love the uniforms and the other things in the packs like the challenger II.

Monty and I said when we get them back we will make loads of missions like we were going to do before it got taken out.

All we use in this server is just amercian gear or rarely russian gear because we always do amercia vs russia and it's getting quite boring.

We do have shit that we dont use like the dainish kit.
AGREED
Tipsi

Post by Tipsi »

One way of solving the "variety problem" is to have more people mission making. With the 3D editor and 26K's template people have a huge stepping stone that hadn't existed years ago. Anyone in the editing channel is very open to help those who are struggling (and my god is it a struggle!).

Every mission maker has a style and if we had more mission makers we would see more flavour on the #2 server utilising more of the features and addons our server has to offer.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Okay, so the deal is:

Some people in the community have been working on a faction pack.

In this pack will be several factions. One of the priority factions are the brits along with the Germans, Ukrainians, Syrians etc...

The Danes are in there for :
A) testing reasons
B) some one actually made a ducking texture
C) as non chauvinistic europeans, we see that the Danes are ducking close to the Russians. They trained for recon deep within Russian borders in the 80's and 90's and probably still do. Which makes for some nice missions.

The Brits are nice to have and will probably make the faction pack. But in the current releases theyre either rubbish texture wise or come with a plethora of errors. Probably conflicting with other add-ons.

So for now they will probably stay out. But there is a high chance they will make the faction pack.

Please close thread as we don't need more back and forth
Rory

Post by Rory »

Dmitry has said everything that can be said so look to his post and you can hold him to what he says. On the zeus aspect, I understand that baf was used a bit in zeus and insurgency but even keeping that in mind it was not used nearly enough to warrant keeping it. Our pack is super big now so I dont think we will be adding any separate British pack in the near future.
Milton

Post by Milton »

I do understand that our pack is big enough as it is what I don't understand is that you lot are saying that we didn't use it enough im pretty sure we used it everyday and that some gamenight missions were in the making. And as for the pack being buggy I will repeat what I said eariler on there are British milsim units like the 4th infantry that have no problems with their packs. We could ask to use theirs when we do decide to add the Brits back.

On another note I hear people saying the we dont have enough options in our pack it's either Amercians or Russians/Rebels.
Tom

Post by Tom »

You seem to have trouble reading posts...

There is a FACTION PACK in the making.

THERE ARE PLANS TO IMPLEMENT A BRITISH FACTION.

SO BE PATIENT AND YOU MIGHT GET YOUR BRITISH STUFFZ BACK
Backup

Post by Backup »

milton not only did Tom use capitals, but he also captured a rainbow and painted it on his words. Please can you pay attention this time so i never have to see another rainbow on here again ;)
ashley

Post by ashley »

We have loads of Danish, Belgian, German etc weapons and uniforms. Most people that say "We only have americans or russians" are just too lazy to actually look what we have in our addons. We have a shit ton of stuff that is never used purely because most people don't know its there.

I'm all for getting british stuff, as long as its done in our own pack as Tom and countless others have said.